Post metal etc.

Caveman_Diary

New Metal Member
Sep 26, 2009
Hello fellow metalheads.

Within the past 2 years i've really gotten hooked on post/experimental metal but i'm currently in need of new inspiration.

My top favorite bands are as follows:

Isis (oceanic--> wavering radiant)
Tool (basically everything)

Tiamat (wildhoney)

Neurosis (a sun that never sets-->given to the rising)

Bands that i've heard of but haven't gotten into yet:

godflesh
rosetta
pelican
red sparrows
cult of luna

So yeah if any of you guys know any bands (whether i listed them or not) that are worth checking out, let me know

:devil:

Cult of Luna is a must man, my favorite post-metal band. Check out Eternal Kingdom or Somewhere Along the Highway.

First, you NEED to get Neurosis - Through Silver In Blood

You might want to listen to maudlin of the Well as they are fairly inspired by the Wildhoney album. I suggest Leaving Your Body Map (not post metal at all though, but amazing nonetheless)

and finally, check out Hull - Sole Lord

I love Oceanic too, the best work from Isis so far. My second favorite is Panopticon.
I recommend Agalloch. While they are rooted in black metal, their album Ashes Against the Grain is fairly post metal-ish while still being black metal but without any of the cheesy basement black metal stuff.

The Pax Cecilia, Io and Irepress are all great bands too.
If you want to try something very sludgy, check out 5ive (not to be confused with the boy band that had that same name for a while).
Extremely crushing music.

Not strictly post metal (but arguably a lot of post metal bands aren't) check out Russian Circles for a cool mix of post rock, post metal and math rock.

If you're into experimental metal and you like Tool, you will no doubt love Meshuggah

Neurosis are Post- Hardcore/Expirimental Hardcore. Tool are not a metal band either and can't be post metal.

just thought i'd clear that up

If you're into experimental metal and you like Tool, you will no doubt love Meshuggah

I would take out the phrase "no doubt" since Tool is my favorite band and I fucking can't stand Meshuggah. And yea they aren't really post metal. I guess we don't have to call them metal at all as long as we admit that a lot of their songs have more aggression and heaviness than a shitload of metal bands.

Erm I don't really know how those are post as much as just experimental, but I get the terminology confused. I think of post as a musical genre centered around build ups. I can't think of a lot of black metal that does this. Most of the stuff that's long and drawn out like post metal doesn't really build up in the same way.

Thanks for the overwhelming response. I'm glad to know that i'm not the only one into this genre..

I guess once i come home (vacation) i'm gonna be a very busy man trying to listen to all of these bands

Also, feel free to keep them coming :headbang:

I would take out the phrase "no doubt" since Tool is my favorite band and I fucking can't stand Meshuggah. And yea they aren't really post metal. I guess we don't have to call them metal at all as long as we admit that a lot of their songs have more aggression and heaviness than a shitload of metal bands.

Well do you like experimental metal? Need to fit both criterion

Well do you like experimental metal? Need to fit both criterion

Well I like metal that's experimental but if we're talking about some genre sorta like the literal progressive metal that refers only to a specific kind of wankers like Meshuggah and Textures, I guess not?

If you're looking for a specific Godflesh album, I'd suggest checking out 'Selfless' - in my opinion, it's a masterpiece.