so called "POST METAL"

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
I've been listening to this stuff almost exclusively lately. Neurosis and Isis of course. But I finally am appreciating some Cult of Luna, especially the debut (the song Sleep, holy shit) and Somewhere Along the Highway. Mouth of the Architect is really solid stuff. Even Transmission0 is good. Pelican, 5ive, Cable, and Old Man Gloom....

What would be some others you all would recommend? I've tried Minsk and could not get into it.

Stuff like Envy's Insomniac Doze would be a plus. That album is a beast.

I know Dirge, but can't find their stuff. I keep hearing of Russian Circles, Rosetta, Intronaut and Callisto, Khoma but haven't heard anything. So give opinions.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only got Eternal Kingdom by Cult of Luna but that album is absolute killer. Been meaning to check out other stuff so might have to do that now.

Someone on here had the Dirge albums for all to hear earlier in the year. Do a search they may still be hosted.

edit: Ja, hier it is. http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rc/594870-isis-call-day.html#post9108720

You've already mentioned the post-metal bands I know of, so I'm also interested to see what people have to recommend.

Does Long Distance Calling count as Post-rock?
I like them quite a bit more than Isis who they are compared with.

have you heard Khoma, i think some of the CoL guys are in that band?

Transmission0 is really great stuff.

Stuff like Envy's Insomniac Doze would be a plus. That album is a beast.

I know Dirge, but can't find their stuff. I keep hearing of Russian Circles, Rosetta, Intronaut and Callisto, Khoma but haven't heard anything. So give opinions.

I'm like 99% sure I have Dirge's album on my external HD. If you still need it, I can check later.
Edit: so yeah I have it, uploading as I write this

Also, the new album by Year of no Light is great and probably qualifies as post-metal, definitely more than the previous one. It's totally instrumental.

That Dirge album took months (maybe over a year) to sink in, but now it's turned to my favourite post-stuff album. Huge piece of introspective music, with excellent serene vs. harsh contrasting dynamics.

Holy shit /\

The musician behind this is Wolftribe!

maximuk_new.jpg

hahha wtf even I see the resemblance. thats just creepy.

edit: He even does the stupid face i do in all pictures!

edit 2: that even kind of looks like my moms house.

this band really kicks ass ... only saw J. mention them in passing before but they give me a nice ISIS Panoptiocon era vibe

they only do instrumentals though ...

check it

Last edited by a moderator: