Post-Show thread for Lubbock Tx concert!

suislidE

Texas Tech!!
Oct 30, 2003
Lubbock, Texas
Wow, WOW what a fucking awesome concert. My cherry was popped by Opeth last night and i couldnt be happier (no not that way u sick fucks). They had around a 45 min maybe closer to an hour long set. Sanctity was up first, then Opeth, and Lamb of God closed.

I watched a couple Sanctity vids on youtube but they didnt do much for me, but live they had a pretty damn good sound (I was up on the balcony thing at the back just off-center). Didnt feel like getting in the pit for that one, just sat back, watched and had a couple of beers. A small mosh pit formed, but was only laughing at it because the huge black bouncer that was kicking all their asses had a shit-eating grin on his face the whole time. Good times, Sanctity show wasnt bad. Around 30 min set.

For Opeth, I had to get up there. My friend stayed in the pit the entire show, maybe 2-3 people back. I lucky squeezed my way just behind him for Opeth, took me 5 mins though. They came out after 20 mins or so, and I thought i had the setlist down from a couple threads already posted here earlier. Nope. They opened with Ghost of Perdition, and i was FLOORED. I probly lost my voice in the first couple mins of them getting on stage. Next up, I thought they would play Amen Corner, which was really getting me anxious before the show. They decided to play Godheads Lament instead, but I was perfectly fine with that. Couldnt hear Peters leads at the beginnig of the show.. not to mention the rest of the concert. I was standing directly in front of Mike, but Peter was the only one i couldnt hear. Afterwards, I believe it was Windowpane. Thought they usually played Closure, but i like windowpane better anyhow. GREAT sound, Mike played a singlecut black PRS for this one. I think Peter had a brazilian rosewood PRS, a bright blue/aqua quilt.. not sure which color exactly.

Axe really did play well from what I could hear, he really does bring it to the show. No slip ups or short cuts from the studio versions. Next up, The Leper Affinity. I was expecting this one, one of my all time favorite songs. Just got better through this song, dont think i stopped head banging for more than a minute. Mike mentioned they were getting short on time, (seems like they always do.. fuck these people and let them play). I thought Demon was the closing song, but they played Deliverance instead. This was insane.. the mosh pit started up behind me again, and everyone sqeezed in to make space. Pisses me off and distracts me from the song lol. Mike mentioned they would come to Lubbock again on their headlining tour, THANK GOD! Cant wait of course.

Got back up on the balcony for Lamb of God, and boredom set in within 2-3 songs. I respect what they do, but the songs started sounding really similar. Plus their guitars were almost lost in the mix. My friends kept saying their bass player must be ready to kick the bucket soon judging by his grey hair but i never saw him. Haha. We left a couple songs before they let out, and went to IHOP. Good times, best night of the year for me.

dude....thats aweosme....!!!.....I was contemplating teh drive...but atr the end decided against it...!!!...but glad u had a good time...last time aroudn in TX...tehy played in SA at White rabbit...killer show...almost 2 hours....killer tracks....!!!!....so thats also why I didtn go....coz I knew they only b eaplyin liek 45 mins sets...adn that sux...speically coz tehy are so awesome.....ahahaha.....but I know how u exactly feel.......good to hear u had fun...!!!........Keep rockin....!!!..PEAC EOUT

That was pretty much the same setlist mentioned in the Boise thread, but I would have preferred Demon of the Fall as well.

MixGrafix said:
I agree that Deliverance is a much better closing song as well.

Demon has a much better ending. Deliverance, while it is one of their best songs, has an ending not suitable to close out a set, what with the repetitiveness.

i aint play this said:
I think that Deliverance works better as a closing song than Demon of the Fall. Btw the setlist was almost perfect.

agreed, you cant get much better than that, realistically speaking anyways

hey great post man. a bit more in depth than most concert reviews on here. you even described mikael and peter's guitars! and i will agree with the others that deliverance is a better closer than demon.

I don't care if they finish with Demon Of the Fall or Deliverance, I just want to see them play Demon Of The Fall live. I didn't get the chance to see them live until this year, and have yet to see them play it.

Oh I could go on.. maybe about the 4 pot smoking girls right behind me in the pit (i dont smoke hehe). I didnt mind not seing demon though, i would actually prefer to hear deliverance. Whether it closed or not doesnt bother me.. i think they are both great. If Mike was telling the truth and they will headline and come to Lubbock again, they better play demon! And they better have at least an hour and a half set too.

It sounds like they won't be touring a while going into next year...especially the US :(

I know how you feel. First time seeing Opeth a few weeks ago...im going through withdrawl.

Lamb of God signed in the parking lot for about 40 minutes after the show, then for the diehards Opeth came out for about 10 minutes...
They probably werent going to leave fast as the techs went to the bar across the street.

Sanctity was pretty good considering most Lubbock people just sit there and wait for the main band, even when the bands are Mastadon or whatever you see like 2 drunks throw up horns and yell as the rest of the people just stare. But Sanctity actually got good reaction relatively speaking. Lubbock is a Slipknot/Mudvayne type of town.