Post your best cheat!

scoobiedoobie

New Metal Member
Nov 18, 2009
Recently there were posts about speeding up tracks and audio quantizing, so called “cheats”. Much flaming ensued with many of the so called purist took it upon themselves to edify the world of how great they were and how they would never cheat. Talk is cheap.

I’m classically trained as a guitarist. The mentality of the classical guitarist is that we are all cheating. The classical approach is to rehearse pieces, sometimes for years, before attempting to record them. The recording process is this: the engineer hits record, you play the piece from start to finish, repeat. At the end you choose the best complete take.

Being relatively green I don’t really know many of these so called “cheat” techniques but I can see their value.

Is it better to create some music using whatever means possible or spend what limited time you have rehearsing for a recording that may never see the light of day?

What if you have a client that wants a product to sound a certain way but can’t quite get there in the performance?

What if the opposite is true? I’ve done some session work where the client wants some ridiculously demanding parts played with little or no time to rehearse.

If you practice forever trying to get every note on the beat without quantizing you might be a better player. You might be better spending your time learning something else. If the end result is that the notes end up on the beat and you can’t hear the difference then have you spent you time wisely? You’ll know that you didn’t need to use any “cheats” but will anyone else? Will they just assume you cheated? Would anyone even notice? Do they even care?

I understand fully that in a live performance it is completely unacceptable to do anything other than your best live performance. We’re talking about recording. Recording is it the time to use the tools that we have, including technology, to achieve our creative vision.

Of course there are limits for all of us. I don’t want to hear a robot play a guitar and have little time for commercial music. The line in the sand for me is when I can hear that it is a fake. All want to do is hear great music.

So here is it, tell us what your best cheat is. How did you do it? Can you hear that it was a cheat? Did anyone ever even notice?

Flame away if you must but someone out there must have some goodies for us.

Oh, and just relax…

Well, it's different for me because I'm both the composer and the eng/prod :lol: But what I do is that I first compose a piece, then record it, and only later on start to rehearse it in full for live performances. That way I can keep the edge of recording something that I can get right only after many takes, and then later on master it through hard practice :) And that in turn improves my skill and allows me to record something even more difficult for the next release, and then repeat the process.

Oh and one important thing is that I never record a guitar line (riff or lead) in small pieces and/or punch-ins. I always do at least one full repetition of it for each doubling/quad. It's mostly because it always "pops out" to my ear where there's a punch-in during a guitar line :erk: Doing at least one full repetition makes it sound more human.

Whatever it takes to have the end product sounding good. With 95% of musicians this means you have to cheat like fuck, but whether they can play it live is their problem, if something is getting released with my name on it, it has to sound good, full fucking stop. How it's achieved is of zero matter to me.

But yeah, my philosophy when it comes to recording is different when it comes to listening to music. I'd rather hear mistakes in all their glory. But listening to a jazz record where a player occaisionally has a finger slip isn't exactly the same as listening to an amateuristic metal band flounder their way through a song. But whatevs.

Melodyne's DNA is going to be my greatest cheat :) If it works as intended.
In theory with this plug you wont even need a good tuned guitar. This is pitchcorrection, per note, even in chords (altering the DI ofc) :O :O :O
Solving the problem of dudes with bad intonation etc, or just saves some time not having to retune.

I will mainly use it for intonation issues however :) Im stoked for it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0nxkE28_4&feature=related[/ame]

I'm not a pro or anything, far from it, just kinda a hobbyist AE at this stage, but I always copy and paste verse and chorus parts (if I'm playing a song with that kinda structure anyway) if they are exactly the same from one another, and whenever I've shown my clips to my friends in real life, none of them ever noticed that I did.
That being said, I usually try to track my entire verses and chorus in one take, instead of chopping it up into each set of 4 bars or whatever, so that at least keeps it human sounding and people wont notice I reuse those same clips for the next verse or chorus.
While I think it's impressive being able to track a whole song in one take, I think there is a great benefit in just getting the musician to really focus in on one part at a time, nail it fucking perfectly, rather than having 20 takes of a whole song and none of which are going to perfect (unless you're a machine) because it's just too much to be able to focus that much to get everything totally perfect when you need to record so much at once.

drums - aside from usual quantizing, a common cheat is getting the drummer to leave out fast or tough double kick parts and manually putting them in later with a sample. also get them to leave out snare on blast beats and overdub that.

guitars - anything goes... these days you have to cheat a lot to sound 'pro'. split up riffs into tiny sections. tracking parts half-speed. for melodic parts, recording one chord at a time and tuning each not in each chord. you can go even further here after that by getting them to play along with the whole chord part, only punching in for about a half a second between chord changes if you want it more natural sounding.

bass - same as guitars but to a lesser degree. good bass players can get through longer sections, but it's sometimes still necessary to split up riffs, slow down, etc. Biggest issue is intonation, most basses or players are off all over the neck. I usually get the whole song down, then identify which notes are out, and start tuning and punching individual notes (i.e. tune first fret, go through the whole song punching in all those parts, repeat for next out-of-tune fret). sometimes that means tuning every note if the bass isn't set up well. most fender basses are sharp between the 7th and 10th fret. autotune works as a last resort.

vocals - can't cheat too much as it's all in the performance. obviously auto-tune and melodyne are essential these days. I've found PT elastic audio to be an awesome tool for quantizing scream vox and aligning double tracks.

Melodyne's DNA is going to be my greatest cheat :) If it works as intended.
In theory with this plug you wont even need a good tuned guitar. This is pitchcorrection, per note, even in chords (altering the DI ofc) :O :O :O
Solving the problem of dudes with bad intonation etc, or just saves some time not having to retune.

I will mainly use it for intonation issues however :) Im stoked for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0nxkE28_4&feature=related

What happens with bends though? ...I have a hard time believing that all this really works as well as it seems in that video...

A B A C A B B

I think it really is situational. Some bands write their music in the studio, thus having little time to perfect it before printing it. Some bands are lazy and do short takes of everything so they can nail just 5 seconds at a time and piece it together. Some people are purists and do it in one take or not at all...it depends on the end result and the end satisfaction.