Post your best cheat!

Melodyne's DNA is going to be my greatest cheat :) If it works as intended.
In theory with this plug you wont even need a good tuned guitar. This is pitchcorrection, per note, even in chords (altering the DI ofc) :O :O :O
Solving the problem of dudes with bad intonation etc, or just saves some time not having to retune.

I will mainly use it for intonation issues however :) Im stoked for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0nxkE28_4&feature=related

Dude, get the F out of here. That's shit's crazy! Is it out??? I don't care if it's cheating, think of how much time that will save.

...I usually get the whole song down, then identify which notes are out, and start tuning and punching individual notes (i.e. tune first fret, go through the whole song punching in all those parts, repeat for next out-of-tune fret). sometimes that means tuning every note if the bass isn't set up well. most fender basses are sharp between the 7th and 10th fret. autotune works as a last resort.

:zombie:

You sir, are a very patient man.

Melodyne's DNA is going to be my greatest cheat :) If it works as intended.
In theory with this plug you wont even need a good tuned guitar. This is pitchcorrection, per note, even in chords (altering the DI ofc) :O :O :O
Solving the problem of dudes with bad intonation etc, or just saves some time not having to retune.

I will mainly use it for intonation issues however :) Im stoked for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0nxkE28_4&feature=related

I just checked out Melodyne, Wow I had know idea this was even possible!

With this melodyne.... can i record in standard tuning and convert the di to let's say 1/2 step down tuning? That would be awesome.

And what about bendings?

Regards sandra

anyone every try using the bass guitar feature on auto tune? I had some success with it in the past, getting them nasty notes to sit better

I had good luck with melodyne. It's easy and does very well for me. It's kinda like graphic tuning but I think has a better work flow than something like antares.

except you gotta play through the whole song with melodyne, when it only takes 2 seconds to set up in auto-tune.

Incredible ! I want this melodyne so bad... I don't really think of cheating but of the super creativity possible now !! It's like midi with pure audio, you can correct errors but alors transform even more audio to your imagination, and possibilities with sample banks is endless !

its out already

Go try it

Just did and it's terrible. Pretty disappointed actually. Tried it on about 30 different 10 second samples (urgh having to restart Logic every time was lame) of ac gtrs, bass with chords, bv groups....all and all it makes for a phasey shitty mess....

Just my opinion of course.

Anyone who expected it to sound even remotely passable is crazy. Of course it was going to sound like crap, it's like taking a cake and trying to pull just the egg out after it's already baked.

:lol: i was thinking something simmilar :rofl: if anyone happens to find it useful for 'analog' music, i'll be surprised. Just go for the real thing (play the damn chords, tune the damn instrument), unless yer doing electro shit and that kind'a stuff.

Probably because, IHMO, the step that makes people fall from "Melodyne is a tool to correct small problems" to "OMG I can change pitch to everything in my song!!1!eleven" it's really short.

The purpose of a program like it it's to correct a note that is off in a vocal track, or in worst case scenario a lot of notes... Melodyne works pretty well if you don't ask it to do MIRACLES to you. You miss a note by a semitone, or even less... It works great. You can't expect to record Barry White voice and use melodyne to raise notes 2 octaves to do choirs and expect to obtain angels voices and not phasey bit-crunchy shit :D

For example, why in the hell you would record a song in Bb, and then use melodyne to change intonation?!? It's beyond me, just record the fucking song like it should be... The instrument is not setup correctly and out of intonation? Bring it to a technician and let him fix it...

On the other hand we should consider the other face of the medal. As a AE you receive the local metal kiddy band of your town, and they features instruments with no proper intonation... So you can decide to tell them "come back when you got good guitars", or you can record them anyway... Leave stuff as is, but it will sound awful... So you can try melodyne to fix it. The worst case scenario is that Melodyne can't do its job, so you have to choose to a bad intonated instrument versus a "sounding fake" instrument...

The recording process is this: the engineer hits record, you play the piece from start to finish, repeat. At the end you choose the best complete take.

That's actually pretty much how both my current bands work, which I kinda like. The exceptions tend to be if there's a tone change (so clean/dirty - but all the clean parts will be done in one take still), and for bass parts if I change from fingers to a plectrum. If at the end of it there are no completely good takes, we join the best bits together.

There's basically no difference whatsoever in the final result to be honest, it's just how things have worked out.

Steve