Searching for someone to mix an album.

Kelle666

Dr. Kaos
Sep 25, 2008
FInland, Tampere
Hi everyone!

We are currently recording a cd and now the tracking is almost complete so we are currently searching someone to mix and master it. I have seen threads like this here before so we try it also.
Here's one track to show what you can make. If you want to mix a whole album, ten songs are waiting :headbang:

The tracks are completely dry and they need a lot of post processing, sound replacing on drums, quantizing and so on. Tempo is 240.

We are looking that punchy "industry standard modern metal" sound or something like that.

So give your best shot!

http://www.megaupload.com/fi/?d=SPG4341I

Cheers!

We are willing pay for the whole album mix, though we are on a low budget.
If you do a test mix, please post or pm your fee for a complete album mix. The album has 11 songs.

I would give it a shot if I had time, unfortunately I don't :(

And I wouldn't be able to do whole album anyway, because I don't own everything I use legally, and I can openly admit that, which is why I wouldn't mix an album that someone is going to make money from. So far I have made 0$ from music and I intend to keep it that way until I own all the software I use :)

But it would've been fun though, I really want to practise mixing... I've only done it once in my life haha, and it's the link down below in my sig :)

Wow we are impressed by the amount of mixes so far :headbang:
We'll finish the guitar track by next weekend and after that the tracking is done.
Then we will start to really listen and discuss these mixes so keep em' coming if you have one!

Here's a rough mix for you: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/moonlapse-kelleroughmix2.mp3

I'm posting a rough mix because I can't be sure I'll have the time to do a full one, given my working schedule.

Keep in mind I only spent a little while on this and as a result I haven't tightened up everything I need to, though I should mention that drum and performance tightening is NOT a mixing process. It's an editing process - something that should follow tracking and be considered an altogether separate procedure.

If I get some more spare time in the coming days I'll revisit this, tighten it up, clean up mis-triggers, actually add in the Tom tracks and automate the mix. Consider this a placeholder.

As far as footnotes go, I would personally re-track the guitars with a different tone and a guitar that doesn't fret buzz like crazy. There's a lot of grain in the tone being added by fret 'clicking'. The drums do the job. Overheads are reasonably clear and the direct tracks provide a basis for sample replacement/blending. Vocals seem to sit with a ton of compression. They're probably too loud in my current rough mix... as well as the drums.

Here is my attempt. Drum quantization is a pain, so i didnt bother doing it for this sample, but if you wanted me to mix the album i would consider it part of the deal. I also would take more time on the drum velocities so they didn't sound so mechanical(unless that's what you want it to sound like).

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/536384/Sneap forum test.mp3

check my studio link for samples i've done full drum quantization on.

Nice one Shadow. I hear some distortion at some part on vocals, which one did you use at 0:50 ?

What is your processing on the guitars ?
Thanks! I just used Cubase's quadrafuzz :)
The Guitars need a lot of substractive eq. Also two of the tracks are hi-shelved because of the nasty treble/noise.

I'm posting a rough mix because I can't be sure I'll have the time to do a full one, given my working schedule.
Yet it sounds pretty clean and polished, great work as usual, Moonlapse :headbang:

Thanks man. Listening back there are quite a few glaring flaws, but as far as spending so little time on it, it's prolly the best I could've hoped for. Hopefully there'll be time to touch it up.

Nice work yourself. Very big sub-bass going on. How did you find mixing the guitars, by the way?