Post your best disto bass tone 2015

HCL

Holy Crap! Lions!
Jul 13, 2010
Plymouth, UK
I love using the last thread as a reference but most of the files have 404'd by now and it's years later, so I imagine people have new techniques and sounds. Post up the tones you're most proud of!

Maybe I could use this thread to ask how you guys get a nice distortion on zombass 3? With the tse b.o.d. and drive on max I don't get a good distortion but a nice tone.

I will post a clip with my favorite created bass tone after work ;-)

Maybe I could use this thread to ask how you guys get a nice distortion on zombass 3? With the tse b.o.d. and drive on max I don't get a good distortion but a nice tone.

I will post a clip with my favorite created bass tone after work ;-)

I've never used Zombass but a common method is to duplicate the bass track and filter out all the low end and hit it with a guitar amp/sim.

Here's something I tried. I used TSE X50 with some ampeg impulse (don't remember which one right now). This is a tone I want to use for a noise/ambient project (early swans style) and I wanted to make it super filthy.

The bass I used is shit tho, I gotta grab a new one for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still like that one quite a bit

around 1:00 theres the bass solo

ibanez sr305 ipt, amplitube 3 & PT Sansamp plugin

This is a preset for my starting point for most bass guitar tones. Of course this is tweaked to work with the bass track I randomly pulled up haha.

I actually made a video about this setup so if you want to see it let me know, but it is basically:

Low end track LPF around 300Hz and HPF around 40Hz as well as a cut to make room for the kick drum.

Grit track with Ignite Amps SHB-1. Also LPF around 6kHz and HPF around 500Hz.

Distortion track with Ignite Amps TSB-1. Same filtering as Grit track.

For the mixing part I usually end up with 2 compressors in series into a good EQ and multiband compressor.

^That's super sweet! Would have loved to hear it a bit more in the mix, but it does what it has to the way it is too.

This is still my favorite of mine:

It's fingerstyle so it doesn't have that super sharp attack the way a lot of you guys like but I'm still super happy with it. Here is a faders up mix of the bass tone solo'd. No eq or comp, just a mix of a clean mic'd amp and a dirty mic'd amp.
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7350515/bassinurface.mp3

Love it ! Is it possible to have the corresponding DI ? Or any DI of this player/bass combo ? I would like to experiment getting there with my own tools :)

The 500 and 300 watt version of this amp came out this year, but this is last years. Sounds amazing.

I know this isn't a tone I made, but it's still sick. No pedals/racks, just straight bass into an amp.