Poster Child for stupidity Ahahahah

Jun 26, 2004
Hey Everyone,

how many times have you been told safety first? I always felt like I was being nagged, but now I am the one advocating safety. Last night I was breaking down boxes to put in the recycling bin, and the unthinkable happened. I cut my thumb on my right hand with a box cutter (razor blade). Instantly I knew I needed to get to the emergency room to make sure I hadn't cut my career along with my thumb. Luckily I didn't cut any tendons and will only have to lay off the guitar for a couple weeks. If you are squeamish at all don't look at the pictures

Here was the initial cut, at least a 1/4" deep
chrisneedle0257.jpg

The handy work of the surgeon
chrisstitches0261.jpg

I feel very lucky that I could take this picture(all is well that ends well), hopefully you guys will take notes from my mistakes.
chris0255.jpg

P.S I'm bummed I didn't get to play with my brothers at the NAMM jam. I was told no one in Megadeth was playing and decided not to go to that party. Needless to say I missed out on a great time.

take care, Chris.

Hey chris I hope you get better. I am a guitarist and I am making a career out of music. So I understand the scare you must of had. I would have really been bumed out if you had cut your career. As I am a huge fan and find you have a huge influence on my guitar style.

Take care chris and have yourself a restful recovery.

Daniel Stuart

Here's wishing ya a speedy recovery Chris! I use to work at a factory and stockers slicing their hands/fingers cutting down boxes was a common injury-as you said you can never be too careful. At least it looks like you missed the tip of the thumb - especially any left hand fingers!

Get well soon, Chris! And tell us, if an off time maybe did some good for, you at your instrument(s), it did for me last year! 'twas quite surprising to play better after 2 weeks off...^^
Also remember Tony Iommi cutting through 2 of his fretting hand fingertips...
but I reckon, it was a shocking moment!

All the best,
Nicolao

I think Chris would have to lose both arms and legs before it slowed him down on guitar. Even then he would just be a stump, sweep-picking with this teeth and doing tremolo picking and string-skipping with his eyebrows.

I cut my right palm when I grabbed a cheap glass vase that shattered in my hand. Had it stitched up with a scar still remaining. :)

Hope you get well, Chris. You're one of my inspirations for playing, and it would suck if anything were to happen.

Well, at least you didn't jump off of the back of a moving vehicle while doing 40 mph. :lol:

On a more serious note, I'm glad you're ok man. The world needs you.

Get well soon, Chris! And tell us, if an off time maybe did some good for, you at your instrument(s), it did for me last year! 'twas quite surprising to play better after 2 weeks off...^^
Also remember Tony Iommi cutting through 2 of his fretting hand fingertips...
but I reckon, it was a shocking moment!

All the best,
Nicolao

yeah, if Tony hadn't cut his fingertips off, maybe we'd not have metal?

Chris,

Bummer about your thumb but I have a "glass half full" outlook on things by thinking that things can always be "worse" and that's a good wayt to look at things as well as your mishap with box cutter. We all know that safety does come first and I had a friend years ago who was working on his motorcycle and ended up poking himself in the eye with it and lost the vision it in:ill:

I'm glad you've taken it all in stride with a :heh: and the "horns" sign :kickass:

Take care and heal up fast!:cool:

Warren