Posting my first mix on here... Any thoughts are appreciated!!!

gotet10

Learner
Jan 12, 2010
Atlanta, GA
This is my first mix that I feel sounds good enough to post on here. There aren't any vocals yet.

Kick - Superior
Snare - Sturgis Truth B&G
Toms - Sturgis Truth B&G
Cymbals - Hybrid of Sturgis Dreaming Heavy set and Emerald set
Guitars - Overloud TH2 with Redwire Impulses U87
Bass - Softube Bass Amp Room w/ DI box

The song was recorded to a good quality sound in Logic 9 and then I moved the stems over to my PC and mastered it in Sonar X1.

Let me know what you think :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah man the guitars are really far away from you, it's like they are being played behind a wall and you're just listening to it from through a doorway. Too much treble on the cymbals (or not enough lower freq's to balance it out). Kick and everything else in general doesn't have enough low end or mid to support it and the bass guitar is non existent? Keep working at it man. You have some pretty interesting riffs etc and sections in the track, so work on it some more to really bring it out in your mix.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I think the main reason it is sounding pretty off is because I don't have any good monitors yet, but I'm gonna work on it at my friends house and I'll post a new mix from taking your thoughts.

One thing to note, Sturgis' samples come pre-mixed and EQed and comp'ed a bit, so don't go too far on the compression or EQing on the tom and OH samples. Get some low-mid end into the mix, and I would recommend using something other than Overloud for guitars.

What would you recommend I use for the guitars emulation wise? I had a line 6 UX2 and I had to return it cause it didn't really like my Snow Leopard. I've used Amplitube and Guitar Rig, but I always seemed to get better sounds from Overloud with the IR cab.

Heres the mix I did earlier today. I tried to get rid of some of the highs and add some lows.

The music itself is pretty creative, pretty cool, but it still sounds distant. It sounds as if a big sound was made small or like if i'm in a hallway and about to enter the mix room. Are you referencing your mix to other mixes? this might help a lot.

Taking all of you guy's replies I've managed to make this. Let me know what you think.

Kick - Slate Kick 10
Snare - Sturgis B&G
Toms - Sturgis Truth B&G
Cymbals - Hybrid of Sturgis Dreaming Heavy set and Emerald set
Guitars - Amplitube 3 (Triple Recto)
Bass - SansAmp

New mix sounds 100 times better. I'm not a big fan of the guitar tone, try a high pass filter, and take out some of the low mid. i think the snare could definitely be beefed up quite a bit, a boost somewhere between 200 and 250 could help a lot there. The kick sounds pretty good to me idk. And as far as bass guitars, a trick i like, is to double the track. then eq one to be round and full, to fill out the low end, and the other one you eq with a shit ton of attack, and upper mid range, almost crunchy, that one blends with the low end of the guitars and will help you get a thick low end without having too much bass in the guitars themselves.