Pough-town 3/18 Review

insipidzombie

New Metal Member
Mar 22, 2005
Took me a few days to get to review this show, but damn the show was refreshing. None of the five bands were bad, but the first two, Cold War Survivor and Single Bullet Theory just didn't blow me away. The sound was a bit off at the Loft, but I love the intimacy of the venue. I saw Mastodon play for like a total of 20 people there in November on an off date from their tour with Slayer and it was an orgasmic experience, to say the least. For both shows, I was in front and center, inches away from the bands.

Beyond the Embrace:

I'm from Massachusetts so I have seen these guys many times since their Metalblade debut, Against the Elements, first released. They sure know how to take advantage of their sonic, triple guitar attack. Their debut blew me away from the day one, and although their sophomore output, Insect Song, doesnt live up to its predecessor, all their songs sound ferorcious live. I have to say that they're one of the most energetic live bands in the scene today. Shawn, the vocalist, seemed to appreciate me singing along. The new bassist almost knocked me unconscious, charging the crowd with his bass.

Setlist:
1. Insect Song
2. (another song off Insect Song)
3. Bastard Screams
4. Fleshengine Breakdown
5. Against the Elements
6. (another song off Insect Song)

Into Eternity:

I've been waiting a couple years to finally see this band, and the presence they brought to the stage was phenomenal. I wish I had talked to the band more because they seemed like awesome guys, especially Rob, who shook my hand, and Troy, who I spoke to briefly at the merch table. I picked up the Buried in Oblivion tour shirt and Troy was really cool and threw in four stickers. Anyway, back to the performance. Rob and Tim both ripped it up on guitar, but Tim was apparently sick and wasn't able to sing very much. Too bad, I love his leads on the self titled album and Dead or Dreaming. The entire band undeniably gave it their all during the performance. Troy kept looking over to me as we had somewhat of a headbanging duel. I do have to agree that Stu's clean vox sounded a bit off key. It certainly could have been due to the horrible sound system and not being able to hear himself. His energy and death vocals were top notch though. He was dripping in sweat by the end of the set from flying around the stage. I'll surely go see the band the next time I have a chance, and hopefully Stu will sound better to me. The crowd seemed most interest in Into Eternity, as a lot of people left right after their set.

Setlist: (not completely in order)
1. Splintered Visions
2. Point of Uncertainty
3. Elysium Dreams
4. 3 Dimensional Aperture
5. Paralyzed
6. Selling God
7. Beginning of the End

Amorphis:
I was very pleased that the band hasn't forgotten their death metal material. Over half of their set was from the pre-Tuonela material. Tomi hits all the notes singing and his growls are excellant. The entire band really enjoyed just playing, even though the audience was a lot smaller than those that they had just a few years ago. They just seemed appreciative that anyone came. I saw their setlist, and unfortunately they had crossed out three songs. I'm not why. Maybe the venue wouldnt let them go over an hour. Anyway, their set balanced the death metal aggression and folk melodies and trippiness of more recent efforts. As I said, the concert was refreshing. Three bands that put their heart and souls into the performance.

Setlist (also not completely in order):
1. Greed
2. Against Widows
3. The Castaway
4. On Rich and Poor
5. Far From the Sun
6. Divinity
7. Alone
8. Day of Your Beliefs
9. Signs from the North Side
10. My Kantele
11. Black Winter Day

only reply to my thread is my own, but I just wanted to note that I edited the setlist. I forgot that they played the new song, Paralyzed