power chords with the e string on high frets

blackbull

Dec 6, 2011
Norway
Power chords above like the fifth fret always sound bad for me. The tone gets really dull and it's sounds out of tune. It's especially bad when in drop c or d. I've also noticed this 'phenomenon' on other peoples covers on youtube for example. Any tips to make it sound more like power chords on the fourth and third string?

Lighter gauge strings will give you less of that 'dull' sound, but will detune easier, heavier string gauges will hold tune but sound duller. Intonating the instrument properly & not fretting too hard/bending strings out of tune helps. Just avoid doing it altogether though.

So your saying: Powerchords in the higher frets (eg 5th to 12th fret) sound dull and out of tune??
Powerchords will always have more bass frequencies than the equivalent powerchord a string down (eg 7th fret B5 chord compared to the string below 2nd fret B5 chord)
This is because the string is thicker, therefore generating more bass, leading to what you call 'dullness'
Therefore, it tends to make the chord more bassy (imagine playing a powerchord a bass guitar, would b really bassy because of the thick/fat strings)
Also, if it's obviously out of tune, it seems like a badly setup guitar; intonation, truss-rod, and possibly action adjustment may be needed.
Have you ever had your guitar set-up professionally??
Alot of the time this out-of-tune sound is coming from the way you play your guitar
As you play your strings futher away from the headstock or the picking area/bridge (closer to the middle of the string, around 7th to 12th fret)
the strings tend to have more slack, ie allowing you to slightly bend the string out of tune when you press the string down
Maybe make sure your not bending the strings out of tune when playing around this area
Post some clips if you really want us to help you

Yeah I suspect my guitar to be in really bad shape. It's been fucking my mind for a year now, I always think it used to sound better. I hope you just gave me enough motivation to get my ass to a guitar shop. :p

Dude, you need to get this done every time or every second time you restring the darn thing
If you have a cheap guitar lying around, then at least find tutorials online and teach yourself how to adjust your guitar
Reason i say cheap guitar is so if you fuck up, it wont b too much of a worry
Those who record guitarist all the time have to put up with these ppl who cant b fucked servicing their instruments and it drives the engineer insane

If people cant hear the shitness of their guitars that are in need of servicing, then chances are they probably cant hear the shitness of their playing too

so its good that you can hear that your guitar is out of tune in certain places on the fretboard. Quick, go get it done before your ears adjust to shitness lolz

Ah shit, I didn't think it was that serious :p I have a cheap Squire collecting dust somewhere, I'll look up some tutorials. Thanks man.

it blows my mind how many people have no idea that you need to get your guitar setup correctly. When's the last time you've checked your intonation? Tune your guitar, and check the 6th string open. In tune? Great. Now check it at the 12th fret. How far off is it? And is it consistent string to string? It most likely isn't, and needs a set up. Proper intonation will go a long way, but few guitars will stay in tune across the whole neck.

You need to intonate it as everyone said, but there are also "sweet spots" that you get used to on the fretboard... Often something will be easier to play on the higher frets, but I'll play it on the other strings instead when recording because it just sounds tighter. It's a very subconscious thing.

People might not agree with me but I suggest you buy a real tuner with a real needle.

It might be 3-4 times the price of an everyday normal electronic tuner but it's really worth it if you get into the craft of fine-tuning and maintening your guitar in shape.

I've, for years and years, only used my ears and reference sounds like sine waves.. but yeah a needle doesn't lie.

I use this: http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1003 it's probably around 100$ depending where you live.

So people pay a lot of money to get their guitar tuned in guitar shops but I'd buy a book and a tuner if I was them.

This book served me well the last 10 years, those are well spent bucks
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_...tar,_electric/Guitar_Player_Repair_Guide.html

People might not agree with me but I suggest you buy a real tuner with a real needle.

It might be 3-4 times the price of an everyday normal electronic tuner but it's really worth it if you get into the craft of fine-tuning and maintening your guitar in shape.

I've, for years and years, only used my ears and reference sounds like sine waves.. but yeah a needle doesn't lie.

I use this: http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1003 it's probably around 100$ depending where you live.

So people pay a lot of money to get their guitar tuned in guitar shops but I'd buy a book and a tuner if I was them.

This book served me well the last 10 years, those are well spent bucks
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_...tar,_electric/Guitar_Player_Repair_Guide.html

Get a strobe tuner. Way more accurate.

There's no need to buy a tuner if your plugging into a DAW that supports VST plugins.
G-Tune is a free tuner and there are other free tuners available too
Also, I wouldn't bother to invest in a book just to learn how to properly setup your guitar
Reason I say this is because there are guitar manuals online that are free to download (such as Ibanez Guitar/Bass Manuals)
They have step by step instructions on how to setup your guitar properly all for free
Google "Ibanez guitar manual" and "Gtune" (if your using a DAW with VST support)

It does the job but that G-tune won't beat a needle working with an Arsonval movement IMO it's just the same as buying a 15$ plastic tuner. The more precision you want, the more it costs.. the same with any tool actually.
And a book is always good for references. :)

But yeah, if the dude just want to set the intonation, no need to go crazy.

I won't pay 800$ for a tuner. Thanks. :)

Nonsense. You can get the Peterson virtual strobe tuners around $120-$150 on ebay. They're FAR superior to the Boss Tu12 (IMO at least). We have both at the studio and I quite dislike the Boss.

And I've never tried a software tuner that I like besides the Peterson Strobosoft on my iPhone. Pretty sure they may have licensed it from elsewhere but either way it seems 10x more accurate than any VST or what not that I've used. They just seem so finicky most the time.

Getting a good book and tuner will go a long way though. Either way, I'd still recommend finding an awesome guitar tech and having them do an initial setup on your guitar. After an good once-over from a good tech, it will be easier for you to maintain and learn off of.