Tuning issues with .062 strings...

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hey everyone,

need some pro help this time. I got new strings for my LTD and my Gibson LP for some recordings I'm doing these days. Tuning is drop A# and so I took some D'addario .062 strings. Now the problem is I can't get it to be correctly tuned. Both of my guitars seem to have this problem, but it's heavier on the Gibson though.

The zero fret on the lowest string is about 15-20 cent sharp then every other fret on this string. I know it's normal that a string goes sharp at the initial attack, but 15 cent is pretty much, and it stays there for a very long time after the attack. So I thought, ok, let's tune this string 15 cent flat. But then every other fret is tuned too flat on this string!! So when playing power chords it never sounds right! =( How do I solve this? Hope you got some ideas.

Thanks!

I don't get your problem....if you tune your string at fret zero...tune the strings to the note! Different thing if you are checking the intonation. A Les Paul in A# with the short scale will always have problems with low tuning

Get your guitar set up by a professional. Changes string gauges means having to reset intonation as well as adjustments to the neck, action, and possibly the nut. You'll find that the guitar will play better and stay in tune after a setup. Ideally, you'd probably want a guitar with longer scale length for such heavy strings/low tuning.

I use elixir's .052 for drop C on my LP and it's the perfect fit, try some Baritone set? It can also be your tuner definition or bridge height.

Edit: Also check out pelican, baroness and even mastodon they all use guitars similar to LP's on B,drop B, etc.

Zakk Wylde, DL from The Acacia and many others, seems to do just fine with LP styled guitars but they use really HEAVY strings.
A very well done guitar setup is also needed in order to make it work. Nut and tuners replacement is a tipical thing with these guitars too.