Power metal quandary

jimbobhickville

Tyrant in Distress
Hey guys,
I have the 2 genres "American Power Metal" for bands like Lefay, Iced Earth, Nevermore, etc that play that style of music, and "European Power Metal" which is stuff like Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, etc. I never much cared for those 2 names, and metalized brought it to my attention that "Epic Metal" is a better term for the European style, which I agree with. But, what is a better name for the American style?

Any suggestions? Does everyone agree that Epic Metal is a better term than "European Power Metal"? I've also heard it called "Anthemic Power Metal", but I think "Epic" is a better fit.

Hi there,
imho "European Power Metal" makes quite a lot of sense. I´ve never heard the term "Epic Metal" in connection to Rhapsody and the countless Helloween clones from over here. "Epic Metal" is a bit confusing imo. It could also apply to "Hammerheart" period Bathory or Candlemass, Manowar, Primordial etc. etc.

I also think the "American Power Metal" is a useful category. Bands like Savatage, Helstar, Griffin etc. were categorized "US Metal" in the 80s/90s. At least in the German press.

Cheers
Matthias

Epic Metal would apply to bands like:
Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Griffin, Doomsword, etc..., which bands do not play neither US power, nor European power, or any kind of power metal. And don't tell me that Cirith Ungol played power metal...