THE OFFICIAL TM THE POWER METAL THREAD

Shadow298

UNLEASH THE GUAN
Sep 4, 2002
Without the Darkness
Visit site
because it was demanded and I am bored, here is the Official Power Metal Thread for the Transcending Mortality forum.

here you can recommend your favourite power metal bands, albums and songs and share your opinions on the state of the genre as a whole -whether you like or dislike an aspect of it.

so, we shall begin with some of my recommendations for power metal bands that I do like.

Valley's Eve -think that they are one of the most underrated Power Metal bands of all time.
they have only put out 3 full albums and they are hard to find.
I founded their last album Deception of Pain as a fluke in a 2nd hand shop and thought that it was amazing.

Valkiria (Italy) -another interesting power metal band that don't use the epic fantasy formula that so many other of their countrymen do.

Celtic Legacy -this band was a real ear opener for me because they were right down the line power metal in the old NWOBHM style. nothing fancy or frilly, just proper power metal without the pretentions that a lot of bands eschew these days.

Masterpiece -A Japanese epic power metal that show the tightness of a solid JMetal act but the flourish of European band.
good use of synth and guitars make them a must hear band.

Wizard's Hymm -A Japanese female lead power metal band that have their cheesy moments (such as what my girlfriend and I have dubbed hamster scream vocal moment) but are still a solid epic power metal band, though their latest album has slide more towards the more commercial female lead metal band style.

Revolution Renaissance -from the shattered ashes of Stratovarias actually comes a very good power metal band.
Who knew?

Dyslesia -French power metal that is very straight down the line stuff but still solid playing.
though seem to lack something in their latest albums compared to their early works.

Machinae Supremacy -European power metal with an interesting twist in the fact that they use the old Commodore 64 midi synth for a lot of their songs and it gives it a very interesting touch.

Beyond Fear -Tim Owens' band before he went to do vocal duties for Iced Earth. Think Demolitionwith more brutality.

Saint Demon -another of the Old School/New School power metal bands that seem to be appearing these days.
abandoning the pretentiousness that seems to be swarming through the epic power meta scene, they are a good sounding band despite some oddly Christian overtones.

Mod Rules -another incredibly underrated band, more on the prog side of power metal, they are an intelligent and tightly woven band who like to spread themes and motifs through their albums.
seriously recommend them.

Dragonland -often overlooked for the similarly name Dragonforce, Dragonland is a far far superior band who demonstrate the way epic power metal should be -with tightly played and constructed songs and epic themes combinded with powerful emotive vocals.

well, that is all to begin with.
who do you recommend and what do you have to say on the genre?

Crimson Glory - Transcendence, S/T
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian, The Spectre Within, Night on Brocken
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction, Casting the Stones and pretty much everything else they've ever released.
Sanctuary - Into the Mirror Black
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth, Somewhere Far Beyond
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys I and II
Titan Force - Titan Force
Angra - Angels Cry
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
Primal Fear - Nuclear Fire
Queensryche - EP/The Warning
Vicious Rumours - Welcome to The Ball
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Riot - Thundersteel
Metal Church - Metal Church, The Dark

Most of this stuff is more US Traditional stuff but most people consider that power metal now anyway.

Power metal people check out CAGE if you thrive on Painkiller era Judas Priest.

www.myspace.com/cageheavymetal or www.cageheavymetal.com

we just returned from Europe and the live reviews in all the mags were great

we mix Metal Church, king diamond, Priest and Teastament for serious ass kicking!

all the best
I've heard a lot of good things about you guys and i really like your stuff. Good old school US power/trad style.

Rage-Have had their ups n downs. But anything in the Manni Schmidt era rules. And the guitar playing in the latest version of Rage with Victor Smolski is insane.
Lost Horizon-Daniel Heiman. Nuff said.
Iced Earth-Contentious pick. But for me the first 2 albums are some of the best power metal ever.
Machine Men-One of the newer breed that I actually like. Great band.
Angel Dust-They have an album called Bleed which is so classy its not even funny.
Armageddon-Featuring Chris Amott on guitar. 2nd album Embrace the Mystery is awesome.
Hexenhaus-Had an album called Dejavoodoo. Incredible technical metal with Mike Wead on guitars.
Kiuas-Rad newish power metal band. Kicks arse.
Secrecy-Noone knows about these guys. German proggy power metal. Had 2 albums in the 90s. Ranging Romance and Art in Motion. Worth looking up.

downloaded a copy of the 2008 re-release of Eldritch's album Portrait Of The Abyss Within.

this is a great album demonstrating what great power metal is all about.

thing Dave or someone recommended them here recently -can't quiet remember.

This thread brings a tear to my eye.:cry:
I mean that in a :worship: kind of way!

Some of my favs in the genre and i do admit there are some dodgey ones out there but also some great ones too.
Most of the albums by these guys rule:
BRAINSTORM (duh!)
NEVERMORE/SANCTUARY (same band to me and i know they don't consider themselves power metal but most PM fans dig them)
MACHINE MEN
GAMMA RAY(especially No World Order)
RAGE
EDGUY
ELDRITCH
TAD MOROSE
SINERGY
ANGEL DUST (bleed for the win!)
DUNGEON/LORD (of course)
ZONATA(very under rated)
SONATA ARCTICA
EPICA
HAMMERFALL (just get there first 2!)
GRAVE DIGGER!!! (his vocals are so bad they're so good!!:headbang:)
BLIND GUARDIN (Nightfall rules!)
QUEENSRYCHE(pre 90's)
EVERGREY
BLACK MAJESTY
SAVATAGE ( Handful of Rain + all 80's stuff)
ICED EARTH
JAG PANZER
NOCTURNAL RITES (everything!!!)
VICIOUS RUMOURS (Carl Albert RIP one of the best voices ever!!)
CRIMSON GLORY (thanks Shane!:headbang:)
MIND ODYSSEY (victor smolski pre RAGE)
MORGANA LEFAY (the secret doctrine is soooo chunky!!)
LEATHERWOLF!!! ("Hear me calling!" :worship:)
STRATOVARIUS (4th Dimension a must!)
MANOWAR (what can you say...)
PRIMAL FEAR
IRON FIRE
WOLF!!!(holy shit these guys are awesome!!!)
ICARUS WITCH
STEEL PROPHET (majoly under rated!!)
PYRAMAZE
NIGHTMARE (france)
SINNER (the nature of evil kicks ass!!)
PARAGON
DARKER HALF
INTENSE
EYEFEAR
...... that should do for off the top of my head!:lol:
Looking forward to adding more later!:headbang::headbang:

Well all of the good bands I listen to have been listed
I listened to Lost Horizon A flame to the ground beneath today totally over board with cheese but I like it

also, would Vanishing Point go into power or prog or both?
because they have my vote for Australia's top most PM band!:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Vanishing Point do rule, but I do consider Black Majesty and Transcending Mortality (atleast what they have currently released) better than Vanishing Point. For me, VP have some great songs, but some filler too. BM just fucking kill it in every song. And Transcending's first album, fucking gold from start to end.

JusticeImpaled already got it in one.
Twilightning > all other power metal.

Do you remember my reaction when you first played them for me in the Ferretmobile? Damn, one fine band there!

some bands I forgot to add to the list.

Falconer -the cheesiest of the cheesy epic power metal but fuck they are a good band with some great songs.

Dream Evil -both excellent pisstake and solid metal band.

Argument Soul -superb Japanese power metal

Zihard -Korean basic power metal but good stuff.

Ark Storm -Japanese epic power metal that play a mean bass solo.

Galneryus -more Japanese power metal that ranges from epic to the balls to the wall sort

Fairyland -queer name but sweet epic style in the vein of Blind Guardian's fantasy bent

Silent Force -good straight power metal

Astral Doors -traditional/power metal with an excellent classic sounding vocalist

Powerwolf -Alice Cooper meets the Misfits meets Iron Maiden but in the best of ways. also featuring an awesome vocalist

Persuader -for all fans of Hansai's awesome vocals

Nanowar (Of Steel) -Italian pisstake band ripping the shite out of Manowar and Rhapsody (Of Fire). very talented and funny band in their own right

Circle of Pain -nice trad-power metal stuff

:zombie: Wtf? Falconer aren't particularly cheesy - as a matter of fact, they're one of the least cheesy European-style power metal bands I can think of...

Oh, they are cheesy.

oh so cheesy!

but I love them and think that they rock!:headbang:

for proof, check out the lyrics for such songs as Quest For the Crown, Mindtraveller, Lord of the Blacksmithsand the entire The Sceptre of Deception album.

it's cheesy but it's the good cheese.
like a great take away pizza.:headbang: