Why is Iced Earth considered power metal?

Saylos

New Metal Member
Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I've always thought that their earlier stuff was more thrash and after BO, they were more just a heavy metal band. I see no comparisons between them and say Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Skylark, Manowar or any other staple power metal bands. A lot of power metal has an uplifting quality to their songs but I don't see that in IE, well a couple but not enough to clasify them as power. For some reason I can't throw IE in the same genre with other power metal bands.

Power Metal is not always gay.

Iced Earth is not ALWAYS gay.

Damn, I guess Iced Earth = Power Metal still...

why did you post about Iced Earth being gay? Are you not a fan? If you are not a fan then why did you come and post on this board?

Any way, I think Iced Earth is just a regular heavy metal band. I mean come on, does Iced Earth sound like Hammerfall or Falconer?

IcedMadness said:
Any way, I think Iced Earth is just a regular heavy metal band. I mean come on, does Iced Earth sound like Hammerfall or Falconer?

That's just it. They don't sound like most power metal bands. Gamma Ray? Nightwish? Dragonforce? Sonata Arctica? No fucking way. I hear them being called power/thrash but I'm not buying that either since I don' think they're thrash anymore. Heavy metal, that's it.

I sense some Maiden/Helloween/Jag Panzer elements in their sound. Anyone heard the choir bullshit on Horror Show?

Everlost said:
Power metal is gay.
Iced Earth is gay.
Iced Earth is power metal.

Doesn't that seem logical?
No.
It's not logical that you're posting on an Iced Earth board if you hate them either.

Some would never call Manowar power metal, Cradle of Filth black metal, Slayer thrash metal, or Smashing Pumpkins grunge. But I do.

korruption said:
No.
It's not logical that you're posting on an Iced Earth board if you hate them either.

I don't hate Iced Earth. Only Jon Schaffer. And until he changes the name of the band to "The Amazing Jon Schaffer Band" I'll continue hating just him. Maybe that's why I call them Power metal. Just because I hate Jon.. :) Or maybe it's because of some live mp3s I heard some time ago with some pretty off key vocals. And when a singer sings out of tune I usually call it power metal. I don't really know what to think now when Tim Owens is the singer though..