Power Metal Stereotype #1: Dragons and Riding On

Bryan316

METAL... nuff said!
Allright folks... the first in a goofy series of bands and songs that fit the stereotypes of power metal.

First off... DRAGONS AND RIDING ON!

If there are bandnames and or songs that have any mentions of dragons or riding on in the name or lyrics, list them here. Let's find out just how many of them are out there!

The obvious first mention:

Dragonforce!
With the heart of the dragon we ride!!!

I hate when people think that about every single band. Like about Kamelot, stupid idiots don't even know what the fuck they are talking about.

Anyway, Rhapsody is also one of those bands, but that's okay because PM is the best! And it's not so boring to watch live..

Empress said:
I hate when people think that about every single band. Like about Kamelot, stupid idiots don't even know what the fuck they are talking about.

Anyway, Rhapsody is also one of those bands, but that's okay because PM is the best! And it's not so boring to watch live..

I agree. I post regularly on another hard rock forum and most of the people on there have a similar stereo type. I try to convince them that there are a lot of bands within the power metal genre that never mention anything related to D & D lyrics, but it's a lost cause. :rolleyes: I've even went as far as to burn sampler discs for some of them, but I still can't convince them! :zombie:

edgeofthorns said:
I agree. I post regularly on another hard rock forum and most of the people on there have a similar stereo type. I try to convince them that there are a lot of bands within the power metal genre that never mention anything related to D & D lyrics, but it's a lost cause. :rolleyes: I've even went as far as to burn sampler discs for some of them, but I still can't convince them! :zombie:

Just out of curiosity, what forum is this? :)

edgeofthorns said:
I agree. I post regularly on another hard rock forum and most of the people on there have a similar stereo type. I try to convince them that there are a lot of bands within the power metal genre that never mention anything related to D & D lyrics, but it's a lost cause.
First off, my original comment was made in jest, hence the emoticon. That said, I find it interesting that this is a sensitive issue for some people. The simple fact of the matter is, a great number of Power Metal bands rely on fantasy subjects for their lyrics. Personally, I see no shame in it. Do all of them do it? No, of course not. However, it's also unrealistic to ignore that way too many of them do. It's not an exaggeration that this thread could go on indefinitely and that composing anything that even remotely resembles a complete list would be impossible. The list of Power Metal songs that include lyrics about "dragons" or "riding on" would be as long as Pop songs that include "love", Death Metal songs that reference "death" or Black Metal songs that reference "satan".

Zod

Haha I get this all the time, not matter what I say, I can't convince my friends that not every metal song is about dragons.

I'm told to "save the princess and slay the dragon" more times than i can count

edgeofthorns said:
I'll let that remain disclosed,

Uh... it appears to still be UNdisclosed... :)

edgeofthorns said:
because I don't want to single out people. :) They're good folks, but they just don't like my power metal! :cry:

Lol... I didn't think the idea was to single out or disparage or attack anyone... but, as someone who enjoys making fun of fantasy metal's cheesiness (even though I am a fan of it), it sounds like this board may contain some comments that are entertaining to read. :)

I wasn't referring to you, Zod. If that's what you thought.

But it's true, everything has it's funny side, for me, I think corpse paint is more gay than 5 men in poet shirts holding swords. And I think the way Death Metal bands try to act so evil and look so crazy is stupid, cause when you talk to them, they are some times normal or even shy people, they aren't what they want to look like...

But there are lots of bands that do talk about the same things.. we can name a A-Z list of power bands with dragon and riding on the wind lyrics..but that's fine, cause they still rule..

You aren't a true metal band until you have a picture of your band, dressed in black, in the woods.

I hate stereotypes in metal. But they're funny and sometimes accurate.
And I hate more people that get offended everytime people make fun of their favorite metal style and start getting pissed off for no reason. Those I just can't stand.

Empress said:
I wasn't referring to you, Zod. If that's what you thought.
No... I knew you weren't. I too was addressing my comments to the group, and not you directly.

Empress said:
But it's true, everything has it's funny side, for me, I think corpse paint is more gay than 5 men in poet shirts holding swords. And I think the way Death Metal bands try to act so evil and look so crazy is stupid, cause when you talk to them, they are some times normal or even shy people, they aren't what they want to look like...
100% true. Every genre has unique characteristics, and these characteristics will often lead to stereotypes. If people can't see past these stereotypes, than their opinions aren't worth considering. For me, it's reached the point where I don't even tell people I listen to Metal. It's not that I have any issue with people knowing what I listen to. Hell, outside of my corporate nine to five gig, I spend 82% of my time in Metal t-shirts (12% of my time in Banana Republic clothing and 6% nude, for those doing the math). I know, as soon as they hear the word "Metal", it conjures up images of Poison and Warrant dancing inside their head. Which would be fine, if that was representative of what I listen to. However, since it's not, I typically just brush the question aside and move on.

Empress said:
But there are lots of bands that do talk about the same things.. we can name a A-Z list of power bands with dragon and riding on the wind lyrics..but that's fine, cause they still rule..
Exactly. And I think I going to crank up something by the King of all Dragon lyrics (RJD), in honor of this thread.

Zod

General Zod said:
First off, my original comment was made in jest, hence the emoticon. That said, I find it interesting that this is a sensitive issue for some people. The simple fact of the matter is, a great number of Power Metal bands rely on fantasy subjects for their lyrics. Personally, I see no shame in it. Do all of them do it? No, of course not. However, it's also unrealistic to ignore that way too many of them do. It's not an exaggeration that this thread could go on indefinitely and that composing anything that even remotely resembles a complete list would be impossible. The list of Power Metal songs that include lyrics about "dragons" or "riding on" would be as long as Pop songs that include "love", Death Metal songs that reference "death" or Black Metal songs that reference "satan".

Zod

Well, I don't have a problem with it either, because it's entertaining. The point I was trying to make is, the D&D lyrics turn some people off when trying to turn them onto the power metal genre. I wasn't saying that the lyrics are bad or good, but I was simply relating my experience.

Sumeet said:
Uh... it appears to still be UNdisclosed... :)

Lol... I didn't think the idea was to single out or disparage or attack anyone... but, as someone who enjoys making fun of fantasy metal's cheesiness (even though I am a fan of it), it sounds like this board may contain some comments that are entertaining to read. :)

Everyone's a critic....:Smug: :)

It's no big deal. I was referring to the Jake E. Lee forum. There are a few prog/power metal fans on there, but mostly the members consist of 80's hard rock fans. That's expected though, considering it's an ex-Ozzy Osbourne guitarist fan site! :) IMO, some of them are missing out on some stellar music from some very good and currently active musicians, simply judging on some lyrical content about fantasy themes.

Oh well, you win some and then you loose some, right? :)

I think both RHAPSODY and MANOWAR nicely cover every stereotype mentioned. Oh, and both kick a major amount of serious ass!!!!!

Don't overlook the mightly DRAGONLAND!!!!! DragonForce isn't the only PM band with DRAGON in their name worth mentioning.....