Powerful metalcore mix for a client (kinda Elitist/Misery Signals/FTFD)

Nolly

Apr 24, 2009
Bath, UK
Hey guys,
I am currently mixing Essence.'s debut full-length "The Defining Elements". Here is a short sample of one of the tracks, "Revelations". The mixing process is very much still in the early stages so everything is subject to change! If you lads could give some feedback on how it translates on your monitoring setup that'd be grand :)
It's been a really nice project to work on - everything has been recorded very tight and clean by the band themselves.

If you dig it, you can go check them out on Facebook at: ESSENCE. | Facebook

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds freaking awesome here on my krk rokit 6's the mix is really tight, sorry i really dont have any critiques cuz i think its great!

Alright, cheers!
Chris, I don't know if the band would be cool with that, I'll ask them when I've finished :)
Vinny, it's an Axe-FX, but definitely going after a slightly PODFarm-style tone!
I'll see what I can do with the bass, but it's Trilian so I'm deliberately not making it too loud (or else it'd be pretty obvious it's not real). Would your decision to give it some extra volume be to provide more low end, or just make it more distinct?

Sounds good on my setup - krk rokit 6's with sub... I kind of agree with some of the previous statements though - possibly a little more bass.
I'm really digging the mix though! I'd love to get my mixes anywhere near this!

Sounds tight as fuck on my HS80s. I *kind* of want a tiny bit more low end from the bass but it's not crucial at all because the current mix translates really well from quiet to loud listening volumes. Great job. Care to share more details on the overall processing?

Great, thanks! I'll look into this bass low end thing and see what I can do without clouding up the kick :)

Can I ask about how the mastering is coming across, specifically if it's too loud etc? It's only rough settings for this bounce.

dasbrootal/Matt, Sure thing! Anything specific you'd like to know? Nice work on your FB promo page btw - I particularly like the vibe of the Greek Fires track :)

Just curious, and I don't mean this in a smart ass way but why would you want a PODFarm type tone out of an AxeFX? Your mix sounds great so I'm hoping that's what the band wants? Or Im sure you have a logical reason for it. Either way well done. I dig the music as well I'm a big Elitist fan and I hear the resemblance so pass that on to the band.

Great, thanks! I'll look into this bass low end thing and see what I can do without clouding up the kick :)

Can I ask about how the mastering is coming across, specifically if it's too loud etc? It's only rough settings for this bounce.

dasbrootal/Matt, Sure thing! Anything specific you'd like to know? Nice work on your FB promo page btw - I particularly like the vibe of the Greek Fires track :)

Thanks man! Just wanted to know more about how you're processing your snare & master bus.

Just curious, and I don't mean this in a smart ass way but why would you want a PODFarm type tone out of an AxeFX? Your mix sounds great so I'm hoping that's what the band wants? Or Im sure you have a logical reason for it. Either way well done. I dig the music as well I'm a big Elitist fan and I hear the resemblance so pass that on to the band.

Yep you hit the nail on the head - every mix the band referenced had PODFarm guitars so it made sense. FWIW I don't really think the guitars' saturation or response sound like a POD, they just have that similar top end character.

Thanks man! Just wanted to know more about how you're processing your snare & master bus.

Snare is a combination of a 3 or 4 different samples layered on top of Superior. The processing is pretty simple on them, just a compressor and an EQ in most cases (usually with Stillwell plugs).
The master chain is Slate FG-X, which I'm really enjoying at the moment. It doesn't throw any of the levels of your mix askew like a limiter does, so you don't have to mix into it. I haven't completely decided on how I prefer to set the various transient shaping controls yet, will have to do some proper evaluation before the final masters get bounced :)

love bands like this, and digging the elitist/misery signals influence. mix sounds killer, tho I dislike the character of the low end of the guitar tone. sounds really thuddy rather than tight, at least through my speakers. either way, it still sounds killer, props \m/

I agree with the comments about the low end lacking just a bit. The mix overall sounds great, I especially like the sound of the vocals! I think the guitar tone is good, just a matter of taste, but it fits the mix well to me.

What processing do you have going on with thevox?

Cheers for the input dudes! I'd be interested to know what are you referencing against for the low end? For example, the low end on Elitist Caves EP is way too uncontrolled for my tastes :)

The main vocals are running through Stillwell Rocket and Major Tom comps, Stillwell 1973 EQ, with Logic Space Designer reverb and SoundToys EchoBoy delay on bus sends. I'm also completely fucking them up with a guitar amp modeller and bandpass EQ on a parallel send.