PP Scan 2009 - which bands do you want to see?

Fates Warning! Or failing that (they're headlining PP USA after all (they'd still be great for PPS though)), Redemption, which FW's Ray Alder sings in, would be great too and maybe more in line with the whole progpower thing.

Other than that...if you decide to go further into the heavy prog territory, Gojira would be pretty damn awesome. Evergrey's always been a great live band too, even if their latest studio stuff is a bit patchy. On the power metal front, Kamelot perhaps. Riverside wouldn't be a bad choice either, even if I'm not much into their latest albums. Nightingale would be nice too, great hard rock/prog metal.

If you got Devin Townsend to do a one-off gig at PPS 2009, I imagine there would be a lot of people there, but that might be a bit hard to accomplish. :p

Paatos would be a cool softer band to see. Not sure how prog they are, but they're damn good...

A couple more (I'm not as partial to these either as the ones mentioned before, but think they'd still be a good fit) I won't describe so I'm not taking all the space:
Waltari
Zero Hour
Unexpect
Pyramaze

I wish Green Carnation were still together. :/

I especially want to place two wishes that are really dear to me, two young Norwegian bands, very different from each other... I think as it is called ProgPower Scandinavia, why not promote some cool bands from the Scandinavian prog underground? Check them out:

Ansur - progressive death/black metal with hammond organs, haha. Whatever, they're extremely young and extremely talented... AND already able to seize that talent and turn it into music somewhere between Atheist and Pink Floyd with some jazzy flavours here and there. For the start I can recommend the catchy "Sierra Day" from their Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/ansursite

Illusion Suite - Got to know them in 2005 with their great EP "The Adventures of Arcan" that was officially downloadable on their web site for a few years. They play melodic progressive metal with some orchestrational stuff. The singer sounds somewhat like a young James LaBrie (without actually comparing them to DT of course...). Just check out their song "Pandora's Box" on their Myspace site, great songwriting, great feeling and very well played: http://www.myspace.com/illusionsuite

Well, that's it for the start. I trust you guys will assemble some fine known bands again.

On the other hand... Yea, I'll give you some more: There is a growing "sort-of-progressive" scene here where I live. So here are some great bands from Leipzig, Germany:

Disillusion - incredible live band, check out "And the mirror cracked": http://www.myspace.com/timesofsplendor
Dark Suns - three very different albums, with the second one being the best and most emotional: http://www.myspace.com/dunklesonnen
Mourning Rise - truly progressive, no boundaries, always making fun of themselves: http://www.myspace.com/mrise666

(Quite some gloomy band names but that's how it is in Germany's grim easht, haha)

yes Katrin, i totally agree about Illusion Suite. I also heard their demo some years before. Ever since then I kept my eyes on them and finally they signed with LMP which is great and they will release their album in february next year! i can't wait to hear it. i'm sure they would also be a great choice for the festival next year, especially as a band that continues the great trend of norwegian prog metal.

Atrox is nice (though it sounds like toothpaste... literally! Feels like you get your ears brushed out when that girl tries to sing in that annoying operatic style, brrr...). I have nothing against the so-called "female fronted metal" - on the contrary: bands like Benedictum :headbang:, Sinergy, Tystnaden or Amaran (R.I.P. :( ) are/were really asskicking and some girls on stage would indeed be a different sight.

I have nothing against the so-called "female fronted metal" - on the contrary: bands like Benedictum :headbang:, Sinergy, Tystnaden or Amaran (R.I.P. :( ) are/were really asskicking and some girls on stage would indeed be a different sight.
They (Atrox) have a male singer these days. ;) And Sinergy seems history. :p

It's kinda funny, I didn't really like Atrox's Contentum album too much, but the last proper song What Crawls Underneath is amazing! The vocals are definitely an acquired taste, but I think her voice is ok...on this last "ballad" they're a little more restrained and very good, and it works very well. In any case, I need to check out their later albums.

i personally didn't like Atrox before, mainly because of the female voice which didn't suit a prog concept, especially that particular like Atrox's. definately not my cup of tea. nevertheless, the new album Binocular with the new line-up (without that female voice thank god!) is a prog masterpiece. i think that now, after 5 years of silence since their previous album the band find their path and i hope they maintain this line-up.

:headbang:Scar Symmetry:headbang:
:headbang:Serenity:headbang:
:headbang:Poverty's No Crime:headbang:
:headbang:Riverside:headbang:
:headbang:Threshold
:headbang:Leaves Eyes::headbang:
:headbang:Symphony X:headbang:
:headbang:Pathsoray:headbang:

More prog, meaning greater diversity would be fine....; )
Dark suns
To-Mera
Symphony X
Anti Depressive Delivery (Great norwegian prog-band, check `em out)
Freak Kitchen
Third Eye
Atrox
Riverside

Evergrey
Wolverine
Demians

These are the bands I can think of now that would suit the festival well. This year it was a bit too much power for my own pleasure. But Deadsoul Tribe was superb, Never thought they´d kick that much ass live.

This year it was a bit too much power for my own pleasure.

I'll probably never understand statements like this... out of the 10 bands only 4 could be categorised as power metal, and of those 4 only 2 (Secret Sphere and Nostradameus) are full fledged power in my opinion. Sure, Lanfear and Wuthering Heights have a good deal of power metal in their music, but they are leaning heavily into prog-territory (and WH have that folk-music edge that sets them apart from power/prog genres). The other 6 bands are prog metal bands ...

Oh well, it's all in the "ears that hear" I guess ... but when we picked the bands for the festival, the criteria were to have an even balance between power and prog, and it in our opinion actually ended up being prog-heavy.

c.

There will always be some bands from the ranks of Intromental on the bill so i hope for...

Pathosray
Redemption
Power Quest

Otherwise it would be cool with...

Seventh Wonder
Royal Hunt
Triosphere (Female vocals with balls) :D
Serenity
Darkwater
Mind's Eye
Riverside
Iron Fire (guess they would save you a lot in travel expenses) ;)
Communic
Scar Symmetry
Kamelot

So Claus, just make your picks and make me happy..yet again:headbang:

For sure these:

Andromeda esp. after the release of the excellent The Immunity Zone
Circle II Circle
Jon Oliva's Pain
Manticora esp. if the play The Black Circus pt. I & II
Zero Hour

How is the progress going guys? Which weekend will it take place? :p

To be honest i start to get a bit worried since PP US have announced the full line-up and PP Europe have 4 bands confirmed by now.

Some words that will ease my troubled mind please....:)