PP7 night one ... Freak Kitchen and Evergrey ruled!

The Shrike

Lord of Pain
Sep 14, 2002
Scottsdale, AZ
It was a long night that ended with Evergrey's encore at 2:30 am. :headbang: :kickass:

Pyramaze. Good band, but I was disappointed overall. Lance is too much of a rock star, while the rest of the band seems green on the stage. Very talented though.

Savage Circus. Another disappointment overall. A very good band but their songs started to sound the same, same, same. I like them better on record.

Freak Kitchen. Absolutely brilliant, funny, jaw dropping talent and tight. They were this year's Tad Morose... :Smokin:

Mercenary. An otherwise great set marred by too much volume!!! It distorted everything. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Evergrey. Their best show ever, and they were so tight. A bit too long of a set, and they spent too much time on the wedding proposals (a story for another time.) A fantastic band that always satisfies me on album and stage. :kickass: :worship:

Rawk!!!!

Hmm, Freak Kitchen is the only band that I didn't watch. Sounds like I missed a great show!

I though Pyramaze was excellent! Of course, I'm a huge fan of Lance King. He's an incredible vocalist!

I though Savage Circus was really good!

Mercenary was great! As I expected them to be. I enjoyed every minute of their set.

Evergrey. What can I say? This is the third time that I've seen them and they have never disappointed me. Freakin' great show! Loved the ensemble.

The Shrike said:
...It was a long night that ended with Evergrey's encore at 2:30 am. :headbang: :kickass: ...

This really has nothing to do with your post topic, but ... nickname "The Shrike", avatar of conceptual drawing of the Razorblad God, and a math/computer joke in the signature--who the hell are you, because you're cool enough for me to buy you a beer!

I think Friday may have been my favorite night, performance/bandwise. I caught all the shows right up front except for Savage Circus, who didn't do so much for me. I'm just now getting really into Blind Guardian, so all I could think is "rip-off" unfortunately. On the other hand, I loved hearing "Immortal Ghost" live. I love that song! Cheers for Pyramaze, Freak Kitchen, Mercenary, and Evergrey for upholding and exceeding all manner of expectations for ProgPower.

By the way... Evergrey's set was truly a marathon, but I can't imagine cutting a single song. When I woke up the next day, I put in "A Night to Remember" for my poor non-metalhead roommate to try and demonstrate what blew my brains out on the stage. I still don't think I can comprehend what happened up there. There are no words!

It was hard to get into Savage Circus because the singer didn't know the lyrics very well, and had to fake headbang to read them. That was dissapointing. But I still loved the music.

Freak Kitchen was the band I most wanted to see, and while I thought they'd go over well, the overall response was mindblowing. Witout doubt, the most fun set I've ever seen at ProgPower, and the show-stealer of PPUSA VII.

Yes! I so hope Freak Kitchen somehow manages an extra number of performances on the DVD. That was a fun show.

Yes, I enjoyed Savage Circus, but was really disappointed by his not remembering the lyrics. It was funny in their 2nd song... But he seemed to not know 90% of them in the 2nd to last song... What was their final song though????? I couldn't figure it out... Didn't sound like it was from their album (though my memory of things isn't the best at times....).

And yeah... I thought the proposal was kind of bleh... It'd be awesome to have it done to you, no doubt. But I don't see why it merits time in the headliner that everyone else wants to rock to.

Sadly I couldn't get into Mercenary a whole lot. Their singer's voice was really annoying me live. I don't know why but I just didn't like it at all. I kind of wish they had turned him down a little or turned up the other singer some.

Mercenary was brutal! Definately the highlight of the night. I don't think the 4-5 mins the proposal took detracted too much from the 2 1/2 hour set.

I am so sad that i did not get to see Freak Kitchen or Mercenary after getting very ill after eating at Vinyl when i first got there... i heard all of the stories about FK the next day and it sounded so entertaining... i will have to get the dvd. Mercenary, they were one of the bands i most wanted to see.
thanks for the reviews of that i missed...
I did get to see Pyramaze before getting sick, that was awesome!!! and after a nap and a lot of pepto and sprite, i made it back to see Evergrey who were amazing as usual.

rottingflesh said:
I am so sad that i did not get to see Freak Kitchen or Mercenary after getting very ill after eating at Vinyl when i first got there...

For future reference, what did you have? :ill:

Freak Kitchen really did surprise me on how much I was entertained by their set. Great job. I guess I wasn't observant because I didn't notice the Savage Circus singer reading the lyrics. It was a good set, but a little disappointing. Not too memorable. Evergrey were great headliners. I had a neutral reaction to the proposals. It was kinda strange seeing a woman propose to a man though. I did like seeing the small orchestra for a few songs. I am in agreement with Maxduo on Mercenary. I just couldn't get into them. I frankly could not understand the singer. Those type of vocals just aren't my thing.

the chicken fingers actually...but i am going to go to the doc... this has been happening in the last few months with fried foods..so it may be me, not sure.

LunaTEKKE said:
For future reference, what did you have? :ill:

speedy1383 said:
I am in agreement with Maxduo on Mercenary. I just couldn't get into them. I frankly could not understand the singer. Those type of vocals just aren't my thing.

I still enjoyed the band mostly, I just didn't care for how he sounded live. I think half of that may just come from being very used to only hearing their CD performance... I dunno though. I still enjoyed their show at least :)

This is their 2nd Prog Power though right.... and I know they said they had to change their bass player who did vocals.. Were they different last time? The vocals? Just curious.

I was rather disappointed with Mercenary's sound at the show. I absolutely love their new album (as well as 11 Dreams and Everblack) so I was really looking forward to their set, but Mikkel's clean vocals were totally drowned out by the growling. The music's just not the same when all you hear is the growling, especially with the new album since a lot of the melody wasn't heard from where I was (and I'm not being a prog snob here, as I love a lot of death metal bands and even work for an extreme music magazine :p).

Freak Kitchen and Evergrey were definitely the highlights of the weekend for me. And I also enjoyed finally seeing ZH live after all these years, though I wish I had had a chance to listen to Specs before the show.