PPUSA potential for things to turn ugly?

shreddy

Jul 26, 2002
Chicago
www.myspace.com
Well 6 days and its sold out, great freaking news. I think this is awesome but on the other hand it sucks really freaking hard :(

I was at the first 2 fests and I will miss this one. I cant afford the $200 a tix (probably what they will sell for on ebay) x2 for me an the wife plus the $400+ for hotel and airfare. I didnt spend that much for PPUSA 2 and we spent almost an entire week in Altanta.

If the venue stays at 1000 max capacity there is the potential for things to get ugly with scalpers and out of reach ticket auctioning. Who is to say people are not going to get extra tickets with the intention to sell them a double the cost to cover their expenses to getting to the venue. Worse yet what if scalpers can get on the PPUSA4 hype and buy out tickets then ask $200-300 a ticket. This isnt Janet Jackson lol. This would be a real shame for tickets to sell at 200% markup and the musicians not getting any bit of that money.

PPUSA is a fantastic thing and the only thing that I can think of that may prevent something like this to happen is to hold a second event at venue or another location. Something like a PPUSA East / West or North / South at various locations or PPUSA 4.1 / 4.2 consecutive weekends at Atlanta could work or even single event at a slightly larger venue.

I am sure that Glenn has given some thoughts about this for PPUSA4.

Well I will try to bid on the ebay tickets within reason, so I have some slight glimmer of hope to still making it to my 3rd PPUSA.

Ed "Shreddy" B

You have a point about the scalpers... I definitely want to see Glenn and the bands (and to a lesser extent, certain labels) make money. Not opportunists.

But tickets were on sale for nearly a week. There was plenty of time, especially for those who knew way in advance, to get tickets. I think if you are in doubt, you get tickets, then sell if need be. Worst case is it doesn't sell out, and you take a small loss. It's not quite yet to the level of pop 15-minuters selling out in an hour.

I hope that didn't come across as harsh... I certainly didn't mean it to. I feel bad that people who want to see this show will be turned away... it's almost a new thing with this type of music (well, except for DT).

Best of luck finding a reasonably priced pair of tickets.

I hope you can make it.....
From what I've seen on e-bay, the prices haven't been that out of hand, YET. Perhaps a ticket limit could be set forth for gold badges. I'd be BUMMED to miss out on any of the PP events, especially since they are increasing in "big name" bands of the genre. There's still time, hopefully you'll be able to score for a reasonable price. Good luck dude! I hope to see you there!
JW - George's friend from WI (Vital Information?)

This would be a real shame for tickets to sell at 200% markup and the musicians not getting any bit of that money.

*cough*cough*

The musicians get the same amount regardless if 200 people show up or 2,000. This is not a record deal, but a show paid for out of the promoter's pocket.

I truly empathize with you. However, I will repeat what others have said. I gave the public a "4 month" notice of the date that tickets went on sale. Even with that, tickets did not sell out for another 6 days.

As for PP 4, I will indeed be looking for a bit bigger place...but not that much.

Glenn H.

Progboy, how did your auction just close? It wasn't scheduled to close till about 1150 PDT Friday... or so I thought : /

Did you cancel it or something? And $500 for 3 tickets IS a pretty big markup. That's over 200% of the original cost.

*still wanting some flaming tickets*

I happened to have been out of town when tickets went for sale, but I figured it wouldn't sell out so quick, but as soon as I got back I checked online and they were gone :(

Maybe I'll just have to rob a bank to support the excursion, but I'm going dammit :p

Originally posted by progboy216
My auction just closed... 3 tickets... $500... not too much of a markup.

How is this not a big markup? 3 tickets SHOULD have cost $270, and that's INCLUDING the Ticketbastard charges. Nearly double isn't a big markup, huh? Let's call a spade a spade. Congrats for you, but come on!

Dammit progboy, what have you done ? It looks like you withdrew your auction and all your bids for the four tickets. You drove the price up $300 basically by yourself, and then you withdraw. Not exactly ethical. I might have been able to win the auction otherwise, but I don't have $650 floating around. Way to fuck up the auction.

Originally posted by Saruman
Dammit progboy, what have you done ? It looks like you withdrew your auction and all your bids for the four tickets. You drove the price up $300 basically by yourself, and then you withdraw. Not exactly ethical. I might have been able to win the auction otherwise, but I don't have $650 floating around. Way to fuck up the auction.

How did I drive it up by myself?

22 of the 33 bids were *yours*, dumbass. THAT is how you drove the price up by yourself.

Now you're selling two tickets? I certainly won't bid on it, you vile little con artist.

what is really bad is if some counterfeit tickets surface, imagine shelling out 500 and then being stopped at the door!

I will have triple the number of security on the front door as well. Feel free to warn folks that I mean business this year in terms of security.

Glenn H.

Originally posted by Saruman
22 of the 33 bids were *yours*, dumbass. THAT is how you drove the price up by yourself.

Now you're selling two tickets? I certainly won't bid on it, you vile little con artist.

First off, I explained this in the thread where I was called out. Secondly, how am I a con artist? I won the auction for 4 tickets at $760... You said yourself you couldnt of afforded that. Are you just upset that they went for such a high price?

BTW... the more I think about this I am just tempted to sell the remaining tickets I have offline. Im getting accused of being dishonest and stuff and thats not cool. Ill prolly sell them to my buddy who is a big B/G fan at cost.

I think I sympathize with you, progboy, if indeed you are telling the truth. It's just that your strange and alltogether unorthodox bidding practises put some of us off. We are all incredibly psyched about this concert, for obvious reasons. Therefore, the idea of some hardcore fan getting conned by someone trying to make a quick buck offended everyone. While I myself was questioning what you were doing, directly calling you a dumbass or a con artist is lame. So in conclusion, people were right to question you, but insults were immature and totally uncalled for.

Originally posted by chibitotoro
I think I sympathize with you, progboy, if indeed you are telling the truth. It's just that your strange and alltogether unorthodox bidding practises put some of us off. We are all incredibly psyched about this concert, for obvious reasons. Therefore, the idea of some hardcore fan getting conned by someone trying to make a quick buck offended everyone. While I myself was questioning what you were doing, directly calling you a dumbass or a con artist is lame. So in conclusion, people were right to question you, but insults were immature and totally uncalled for.

I paid $800 dollars and am flying across the country to see this show. I sir, am hardcore. Not to mention that I work in metal radio.