PPUSA VIII as per Bryant......

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I arrived in Atlanta Wednesday and checked in the motel and went to look for everyone. Jon Oliva was doing a set of acoustic stuff in a smaller section of the venue where PPUSA is held on that night. I didn't get tickets for it, but hung out right outside and listened. Jon did some cool stuff like "Imagine" by John Lennon and even some Beatles. I now regret not buying the ticket..... but I still had a blast. I went in after jon's set and they had karaoke.
This girl that has come to the last three PP or so as usual, got up onstage and absolutely nailed some Queensryche stuff. Urban Breed joined her for one song and did a couple himself as did Jon Oliva. One guy even got up there and did "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" by Pat Benetar. It was great.
Wednesday was the night I decided to do the majority of my drinking and though I stayed away from the liquor, I still poured enough beer down my neck to keep my partying reputation alive. I had a blast and mingled with my friends etc. Great night. Unfortunately, there were rumors Vanden Plas was not going to make the trip. I kept my spirits up and wanted to wait for an official statement.
Thursday was the progpower showcase and sure enough the Vanden Plas news became official. The United states homeland security detained them and questioned them for six hours. It seems as though their paperwork was not adequate to enter the country and do the show. Of course I was devestated, but I tried really hard not to show it. Krucible opened and Lance King was on vocals. He is ALWAYS a welcomed vocalist in my ears. I did't know their music, but I enjoyed them pretty well.
The next slot was Cellador. They are a young band (most in their mid-20s) from the US and the drummer is even younger. They sound like a cross between older Angra and Helloween. There didn't seem to be many fans of theirs, but at that age, they are going to be a band to watch. Their guitar player is a shredder type, but he was also classy with his licks.
The final slot was Freak Kitchen. This Swedish trio is pretty unique. At times, not even metal really but always entertaining. Mattias played his guitar with a dildo again and they were funny as hell as usual. Great at what they do, though I haven't gotten their discs to click with me.
Vanden Plas was supposed to play after Freak Kitchen, but of course didn't.
I went to the bar in the venue and hung out with all of my buddies and did more drinking. I didn't take it quite to wednesday's level, but still put enough away.

I'll post Friday Night and Staurday Nights.... at a later time.

Bryant

It was great to see you and your wife again brother!! Sorry I don't know how to spell her name. That whole Vanden Plas thing really pissed me off. They were going to record that show for a possiable DVD and I was really excited about that. F*ck!! I'm I ever going to see this band? Oh well, what can you do? As a consolation prize I bought the Abydos DVD and a VP t-shirt.
Freak Kitchen is becoming my new favorite band. I'm really starting to get into them. Really different stuff and I can see how people don't get them but the past few months they just grew on me more and more.

Freak Kitchen, Redemption and Threshold were my highlights of the weekend. Of course, the Ultimate was seeing, talking to and hanging out with the Old School friends:worship:
F*ckin' Bryant and wife(how do you spell her name dude?)
F*ckin' Wheezer
F*ckin' KittyBeast
F*ckin' SavaRon
F*ckin' Kathy

F*CK!! You people F*CKIN' RULE:kickass:
:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Nice to hear Pagan's Mind made up a bit for the abcense of Vandenplas !!
Damn, if we could only shrink the world and melt it all into a 4 day ProgPower Earth :)

I wasn't even there, and I was bummed that VP wasn't able to play that show. I was thinking about you dude... :cry:

..and if Pagan's Mind ever hits the NY area, I will be there. I'm psyched for their new one. Rue's King Diamond covers are so awesome.

The United states homeland security detained them and questioned them for six hours. It seems as though their paperwork was not adequate to enter the country and do the show.

Sure everybody knows Vanden Plas is the Germanic word for Al-Qaeda...

...Homeland Security can kiss my
p065.gif

The next slot was Cellador. They are a young band (most in their mid-20s) from the US and the drummer is even younger. They sound like a cross between older Angra and Helloween. There didn't seem to be many fans of theirs,

I have their debut LP, nothing to die for. Basically a Dragonforce clone, lots of speed, zero passion.

Do you showed your ass again this year? :saint:

NP: Hirax - 'City Of The Dead'