practicing with a band

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
I've always figured that it's best to practice with other people, thereby getting more exposure to little nuances, hints, tips, styles, etc. However, it's really hard to find someone to play with where I'm located; not that there is an absence of guitarists...far from it. There is an overabundance of guitarists here, but since guitars are so cheap in Korea, you get the standard, "I wanna play guitar cuz I'll get chicks" type of people, only to find out how hard it really is to play guitar, they just up and quit or don't further themselves beyond nu-metal crap.

I've never been able to practice with a band...ever...in four years...I'm not kidding. I've practiced all by myself, playing tabs downloaded online, songs by ear, scale books, and anything else I could get my hands on. Since it's kinda boring playing your own stuff all by yourself, without any guidance or input, I end up playing along with songs on my stereo, since that's the closest to jamming with a band that I can get.

My question is this: is this as big of a hinderance to advancement as I think it is? I kind of feel sometimes that I'm short changing myself, and that if I could just find someone to play with and exchange styles, influences, songs, etc., my playing would take off. I really want to learn from other people, but there are no other people who can play anything but one finger power chords around here. I've played on a few occasions with friends, but for some reason or another, they either quit playing or just got tired of it. Any suggestions?

Meh, it actually took me about 6 years before I played with others. And even now I don't care much for it, I play alone most of the time. This is because I'm a solitary sad ass, or something, who enjoys being alone and doesn't like working with others, for the most part (but then, I am studying music right now at a school, so I learn a lot that way anyway). But that's just me, playing with others will obviously be a good thing, but it shouldn't stop you from playing if you can't. Just keep up the search or something, while playing.

There's plenty of influence to be found on the internet anyway. Have you heard Sic's work? As long as you stay away from that crap, you'll be fine.

Originally posted by Mattias of the Night
There's plenty of influence to be found on the internet anyway. Have you heard Sic's work? As long as you stay away from that crap, you'll be fine.

How very childish and immature of you to say such things. Now, you won´t get my in-depth review of my ten-minute session I had with Nuendo.

Yeah, damn right! One doesn´t cast shit upon something when oneself deserves to have shit cast upon. Or something like that.

Yes, well, on to my glorious Nuendo-review:

Nuendo, produced by Steinberg, also known for having produced the ultra shitty and user-hostile Dungbase and the Dungbase SX (short for sucky x-perience). Actually, I haven´t tried Nuendo yet, but I know that it sucks, due to the producer (look above).

Sic´s recommendation: Go with Logic.

THERE! You happy now?

My question is this: is this as big of a hinderance to advancement as I think it is? I kind of feel sometimes that I'm short changing myself, and that if I could just find someone to play with and exchange styles, influences, songs, etc., my playing would take off. I really want to learn from other people, but there are no other people who can play anything but one finger power chords around here. I've played on a few occasions with friends, but for some reason or another, they either quit playing or just got tired of it. Any suggestions?

I don't think it is, if you keep waiting for someone to help you on your playing you'll never get better. My best advice is to open yourself to other styles (prog metal, death, jazz, classical, blues, black metal) practice a hell lot and try to learn something from each style and your songwriting won't go stale. Perfect your techniques or learn those you haven't learned yet (sweep, harmonics, alternate picking, tapping etc...) and of course learn other scales you haven't learned before.

I've never been able to practice with a band...ever...in four years...I'm not kidding. I've practiced all by myself, playing tabs downloaded online, songs by ear, scale books, and anything else I could get my hands on. Since it's kinda boring playing your own stuff all by yourself, without any guidance or input, I end up playing along with songs on my stereo, since that's the closest to jamming with a band that I can get.

My question is this: is this as big of a hinderance to advancement as I think it is?

I feel very strongly that its not a great hinderance. I've only been in a couple bands since I have been playing (going on 10 years), and while I found that a lot can be learned from interaction with other musicians, the reason that I have have progressed beyond the ability of most guitarists my age (at least around here) is because of the activities that you described above.
I basically taught myself how to play by putting on a disc, learning the songs by ear, and jamming along with it as I grew more familiar with the material. The greatest advantage of this is that the band will always be tight no matter what, and if you're listening to metal, chances are you're going to learn SOMETHING new. And while it can get lonely sometimes, in my opinion its a great learning experience.

I have played in bands since i was in high school and enjoyed it most of the time. But i haven't been in a band for over 2 years now and they have been my most musically productive years. I find writing music on my own i have total control over where i want it to go and it just tends to flow better. I could never find anyone that shares my enthusiasm for technical guitar playing so i just work alone now.

Well my problem with my earlier bandmembers are usually lack of commitment, they are stupid, to drunk, to high, and tottaly lack of talent. The worst is getting drummers. But when anybody interfered with the songwriting, the song usually sucked. So my new Band I want control of everything, I dont want any suggestions by anyone in the band. I think this is the best way to do it. So I think the moral of my story is do it yourself, and dont play music that u like, but play music that u love!

HELL YEAH MAN.

I'm going to a show in Padua on the 14th of July...Lacuna Coil and my buddy's band. This weekend, I've got to get with my band and do some rehearsing, as they want me to sing. I'm very apprehensive about this, as I'm a guitarist, not a frontman. I have the voice for it, but I'm kinda nervous about it. We'll just be doing a few covers and some originals, just fucking around.

Dude, as soon as I can, I'm so there, brother. I'd love to get together and jam, mainly LEARN from you guys, as I've only been playing for a few years. Mainly a rhythm player, and I could use some techniques for soloing as well. I JUST got with this band, so we haven't done any material TOGETHER yet. I think I'm just going to play guitar with them in the studio, and I'll just sing until we can find a better singer. I keep my right hand up by playing Damage, Inc about three times daily, and WORKING ON Holy Wars. Raining Blood, You Can't Bring Me Down, Angel of Death, and some Anthrax are what I use to just fuck around with thrash. I love doom metal too, so I play a lot of Anathema and My Dying Bride. However, as soon as my heavy strings come in, I'm going to start working on some Swedish/Norwegian metal such as Arch Enemy, Darkane, In Flames, and Soilwork so I can tune down to B. Right now, I have 4 guitars, and they are all tuned to different tunings. I need one more so I can tune to everything. Normally, when I'm playing thrash/speed, I'll just keep it in E, because I prefer a standard tuned guitar when playing speed metal. It's just got this sound to it that sounds better to me. When I want to play some melodic death, like Arch Enemy, that's when I'm going to tune my other guitar down to B, I'm just waiting for the strings to arrive from Musician's Friend. I've got a Jackson DKMG that I play in standard tuning, a B.C. Rich V that I tune to C# for the My Dying Bride stuff. I also have a Jackson Kelly Pro Star, which is a cross between a Rhoads V and a Kelly, but it's currently tuned to D. I'm going to re-string that one and tune it all the way down to B. And finally, I have a cheap little Epiphone Les Paul that I fart around with for just hard rock and stuff, such as Alice in Chains and such...it's tuned to Eb. My B.C. Rich and Jackson DKMG both have EMGs installed, and they sound really good. I think I'm probably going to get a Rhoads V next time, with EMGs as well.

That's about it for my setup. I've got a 12" Marshall that fuckin' screams, and a Zoom multi-effects pedal, and that's all I use. I practice about 3 to 4 hours daily, and am very eager to learn from anyone who is willing to teach me. I can't wait to hook up with you guys, man. This is gonna fuckin' rule.

Yeah there is a huge problem with finding reliable musos they are all lazy bastards that think all they have to do is record 1 demo then record companies will give them millions. I am lucky however I have a reliable band that has been doing really well we have made a mark on our local music scene in a very short period of time. Ive found personally that playing in a band has improved my playing style greaty so I would reccomend it although I guess it all depends on where you want to go with your music. Do you want to play in front of ppl or just play covers by yourself?

I find that playing with other musicians greatly enhances your playing. It is very much the same as playing with a record...but the level of intimate contact is also clearly greater, allowing or granting perhaps, a greater level of enthusiasm, a sense of accomplishment when you can match the other person.

So, I think playing with other people is indeed the best way to learn...and not only other guitarists.

I have the same exact problem. It's hard to find people who are into the same music that I am into in this area. And yeah, the people who "just play guitar to get chicks" are annoying and should be dismissed. I have only played with a bass player so far. I think that it is important to play with someone else because you can bounce ideas off of each other that way. Just look for someone who's into the same kind of music that you are into. I mean, yeah, that may seem obvious, but that is the best place to start. If you can't do that, then recruit someone else and basically tell him what you are all about -- what music you are into, what you like to play, and what you want to do.