Preamp between guitar and Saffire pro 24 DSP

Lenny13

New Metal Member
Feb 28, 2014
Hi,

I have a Saffire Pro 24 DSP. I posted on a precedent thread that I have a problem with this interface. When I plug my guitar straight to the interface, I have a bright clean sound but I can go beyond 1 or 2 with the gain because I have clipping with strumming parts, even with the gain at 0. Plus, when I put a Vu meter on a track in Cubase, I'm way above -18dBfs. Not enough headroom.

My first solution, thanks to people on this forum, was to buy a Radial DI J48 but then again, same problem. The pad on the DI gave me a flat sound. So I sent it back.

Then, I asked myself what can I put between my guitar and the Saffire. I could control the sound before it hits the Saffire.

At first, I was aiming for the Art Tube Mp but forgot the idea after seeing some reviews. GAP pre-73, Art tube pro Mpa II ?

Maybe another interface. Read some nice reviews about the Eleven Rack but it seems that you must have Pro Tools to edit the sounds even if you are using another DAW.
The Laney IRT would have been a great but the sound is to modern/metal.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

I have the same interface. Even though I don't have clipping issues with it like you have, I can vouch for Little Labs The Red Eye DI/Reamp box that it will do what you ask. It will drop the signal level down. For ex. with my guitar I set Saffire's gain knob anywhere between 8 & 10 o'clock, and when I use Redeye I have to raise the gain knob to like 12-1 o'clock. I know that it's not exactly the cheapest thing out there, and that there could be some more appropriate products for you, but I'm only mentioning it because I have the interface you have, and The Redeye.

Hi,

I have a Saffire Pro 24 DSP. I posted on a precedent thread that I have a problem with this interface. When I plug my guitar straight to the interface, I have a bright clean sound but I can go beyond 1 or 2 with the gain because I have clipping with strumming parts, even with the gain at 0. Plus, when I put a Vu meter on a track in Cubase, I'm way above -18dBfs. Not enough headroom.
Vu meters usually works as RMS-meters, it`s absolutely normal to have -18 db (or even less) with peak signal around 0 dbFS, even less.
Passive pickups usually have large Crest Factor (peak to RMS ratio i.e. peak level minus RMS level in db), actives have lesser Crest Factor due to clipping.
Larger Crest Factor means greater dynamics, it`s normal for DI signal.
Believe me, you don`t need overcompressed signal for DIs :)

Most popular (and not cheap) DI boxes usually have same weak input level, even acclaimed J48 have +10 dbu, many have even less. Problem comes from power supply: they just do not have maximum allowable supply voltage for particular opamp (i.e. +/-15 bipolar supply) to have maximal input/output voltage swing.

As for Little Labs, I`m thinking that it is very unprofessional, to not publish exact technical specifications.