Preproduction advice

WFletch

New Metal Member
Nov 17, 2011
I am looking for tips and advice on the preproduction stage of the recording process. My band is currently preparing to enter the studio for our second album and want to be as prepared as possible. At this point we have recorded basic multitrack live versions of each song (not to a click). Kick, Snare, Rack toms, Floor Tom, overhead, Guitar 1, Guitar 2, Bass. We are now in the process of taking the scratch recordings and tempo mapping them to create a tempo map for each song and preparing midi drums to record an initial guitar guide track for the drummer. Our songs have multiple time signature changes along with tempo changes. The process so far has been very time consuming. Any advice on taking the scratch tracks we have recorded and building a good tempo map from them in an efficient manner? I want to have consistent verses, chorus's etc.

record scratch tracks and then quantize them. The don't have to sound perfect, just perfectly in time. they'll be deleted after the drums and bass are recorded.
I wouldn't bother with MIDI drums if the whole band has been rehearsing together.

Time spent on pre-pro is well worth it. All questions about arrangement, instrumentation, lyrics, tempo, etc will all be discussed and decided at this point and time will not be wasted on these topics later.
Prepro could last a day or a month depending on how well prepared the musicians are.

I say ditch the non-click tracked recording, and work part by part deciding tempo while recording scratch tracks (at least rhythm guitars, but you can do anything the drummer feels he needs to record), as Jon said you could edit/quantize them. You can also use it to try any additional ideas, arrangements, solos, etc. during this process, thus saving time and money in the actual recording. You could also hire a producer to help you with the preproduction thing if your budget allows it.