Presonus HP4 headphone distribution

Thanks. Yeah, I've done a bit more reading and I've not seen anything about them changing the sound but I've seen quite a few post saying that they do break easily.

Out of curiousness why would you need 4 headphone outputs to mix?

Makes it real easy to hook up a number of different sources for quite cheap; I've also looked into this for my setup. You'd have your monitor thru and then could run the headphone feeds to other speakers; mine would power my 2.1, iHome, and 2 additional headphone sources for easy checking while mixing. You have to turn the volume up/down instead of just hitting a button like on a Central Station or something, but it's also about $50 used.

I've had the HP4 for about 4 years now i think, and nothing has failed on mine yet. I also agree that it's clean, i don't really notice any coloration, but i mainly use it for tracking.

One thing i've noticed on mine is that the stereo image drifts a a little at lower settings, and it's not consistent between the 4 channels (I.e. output 2 on mine is the worst, drift is almost up to 1/3 of the way, but input 4 is basically perfect expect at extremely low volume). It's been like that since i bought it. Not really an issue during tracking, no one really seems to be bothered by it, but it might not be the best for mixing. Mine is the older model though, the newer ones may have better pots in it.

Yeah the pots on mine started to do the crackly thing after 3 years. But I had no problems with it up to then.

Then I attached rack ears onto it and 2 other presonus modules and forgot to fucking unscrew the damn heat sink when I went to sell it. So I ripped to componets off in the process. Sucked.

Makes it real easy to hook up a number of different sources for quite cheap; I've also looked into this for my setup. You'd have your monitor thru and then could run the headphone feeds to other speakers; mine would power my 2.1, iHome, and 2 additional headphone sources for easy checking while mixing. You have to turn the volume up/down instead of just hitting a button like on a Central Station or something, but it's also about $50 used.

But a headphone output is amplified? It's not line level.

One thing i've noticed on mine is that the stereo image drifts a a little at lower settings said:
I totally forgot about this to, haven't used it in long while. Mine also did this. This issue also got worse over time.

Clean and fairly loud (plenty of volume) headphone amp.

+1 to what others have said. Decent for the money I'd say. (Not sure what prices are in AUS, though.) Used one for about 3 years and never had any real issues, although, as I recall, 2 of the 4 headphone volumes worked better than the others. (On two of the channels, the stereo left-to-right balance would shift slightly at low volume settings.)