Presonus Monitor Station vs. Mackie Big Knob

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Well, which do you guys think I should get? Having a big ol' analog pot to control monitors in my upcoming recording setup will be pretty damn useful, not to mention the myriad inputs and switching options. So I'm between these two desktop units, mainly because of their price, and right now, I'm leaning towards the Presonus, because of its four headphone outs. However, can anyone think why the Mackie might be a better bet? Better circuitry, perhaps? There's a lot of crap the signal is passing through in the way of connections and switches, so I don't wanna degrade the signal quality when I'm investing so much in an interface with good converters (FF400) and a good pair of monitors (probably Yamaha MSP5's).

Thanks!

iirc the central station is fully passive so it shouldn't mess up your signals at all. it keeps free space on your desk but consumes 1 rack unit.

Thanks dude, but I was actually talking about the monitor station, which is active, desktop, and more importantly, $150 cheaper!

Thanks dude, but I was actually talking about the monitor station, which is active, desktop, and more importantly, $150 cheaper!

passive is the only way to go for this type of gear. you want transparent not colored for this application. that $150 would be well spent. look at all the good monitor controllers out there, they are all passive. if you cant afford the central station look at either the sm pro audio one or the HEAR technologies talkback i believe its called. i think both of those are passive. if you insist on going active the samson will do as good as either of the two you mentioned for alot cheaper.

Wow, the SM one looks fantastic, thanks guys! This is why I love this forum (even if no one responds to my questions about power amps anymore :loco: ). The hear technologies models all look too expensive from what I saw; I'm definitely not gonna spend more than $300 on a freakin' volume control/switcher. If there are any other suggestions, bring 'em on, but the SM looks like a winner!

Yeah i'm way stoked on mine. Has everything I wanted (I already had a heaphone amp). And you can't beat the price. Love the mono switch.