Pretend to shred

the_satanic_rabbit

Return of Ganon
Oct 30, 2002
Twin Cities, MN
www.omwresearch.com
How do you pretend to be a shredder....
in other words, what can you do that just sounds really awesome and most people will think you're bad ass

For me it's

ascending diminished arpeggios (pretty easy)

long extended arpeggios (minor key easiest) (starting from the lower frets (1-5) ending at the 24th

two-hand tapping

alternate picking (descending runs only, I'm an economy up, alternate down person, very odd :))

That stuff elicits comments from the lay person like "woah man, that's just like van halen!"

:lol:

Alternate picking and tapping in harmonic minor, for me!

Also more legato stuff from time to time.

My people say "Whoa man, that's just like Yngwie!", though!

I just pull some Kerry King style mess shredding out of my ass add a little tapping and wide vibratos and bends and the person with no ear for music says "Wow you kick fucking ass" and I say, "Yeah I know"

Yngvai X said:
the typical EVH two hand stuff is by far the easiest thing to "bullshit" with and sound fast

I guess when I said two-hand tapping I really meant like the four-finger two-handed stuff, like Satriani's midnight. But yeah, play the intro to "Hot for Teacher" or "Eruption" and you'll win 90% of the crowd over!
:D

a minor7b5 arrpeggio sound really baddass on a 7 string, with some tapping at the end of the sweep...easy, but baddass

I agree man. I don't know theory to save my life, but I can play anything that someone with theory knows. I just don't know the name of what I'm doing. Something like this perhaps?

-------------7-10-12t-10-12t---
-----------7---
---------7----
-------9-----
-----9------
---7-------
-7---------

Oh yeah, well what about this?!!

-------------2-24h-12---------------
----------21-----------9--
--------4----------------18--------
-----13---------------------19--------
---8---------------------------6---------
-1-------------------------------13---------

Good luck!
:D

Piezo crystals react to pressure applied to them. Once you press a piezo crystal, it provides an electrical signal, so piezos are PASSIVE pickups, but since the output is really low you use ACTIVE circuits to amplify them. They are used in the saddles on electro-acoustic guitars, since they sound closer to the resonance of the body than magnetics. A part for that is that they actually pick up AS much signal from the body AS they do from the strings. Sometimes a design of putting the piezos UNDER the saddles and top of guitar is used, for getting even more of the body resonance.

BTW if you put a giant piezo instead of a zero fret/nut, the neck should have ALOT of forward bow so you hear the notes. :)

Complicated idea, you're suggesting....