Price drop on EVH 5150-III amplifier head

SimonSez

May 19, 2009
Chicago
So I was looking to order an EVH 5150-III head today. According to the salesman the price of the head has dropped down to $1799 as of this week.

I can't decide if I should buy a new one for $1799 or buy a used one for $1200. The new ones come with a 5-year warranty, the used one has a warranty but I don't know if it's transferable. What do you guys think?

I'm leaning more towards the used head, I always make a lower offer anyway. I just don't want to get one of the early production heads because supposedly they had quality issues. It's amazing how cheap used amps are. Many of them are selling for almost 1/2 of what they cost new. It's normal to see a Dual Rectifier for under a grand now, and I think the new price on those has dropped too.

I'm leaning more towards the used head, I always make a lower offer anyway. I just don't want to get one of the early production heads because supposedly they had quality issues. It's amazing how cheap used amps are. Many of them are selling for almost 1/2 of what they cost new. It's normal to see a Dual Rectifier for under a grand now, and I think the new price on those has dropped too.

This is why I buy almost everything used. As soon as you buy something new you lose about 50%+ of the value anyway. I generally only buy something if I can sell it for the same or more later. I made some killer profit via craigslist since I live between two bigger cities. Buy something real cheap one place sell it for x3 as much the other place if I don't like/need it.

Being albe to fix things helps too. I buy broken stuff for cheap, fix it, and sell it. Turn $50 into $500 etc...