Primordial - Gathering the Plaudits

Bleakest Harvest

\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
[IMGLEFT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/Bleakest_Harvest/Ultimate%20Metal/Interviews/primordialbw-WEBresized.jpg[/IMGLEFT]By Patrick Walsh

A band who have trodden innumerable paths throughout their career, Ireland's Primordial have nonetheless managed to stay true to both their own unique vision of dark, epic metal interwoven with a bleak, oft-black metal aesthetic. Having ridden the crest of the second wave of black metal in the early nineties, Primordial have had to endure everything from touring difficulties to labels folding under their noses. However, their recent signing to Metal Blade has given the band an overdue breakthrough into the metal community's collective consciousness, and Primordial now look set to bring their long underrated hymns to the masses as never before. Furthermore, their Billy Anderson produced The Gathering Wilderness stands as the pinnacle of their efforts; a bleak, harrowing yet completely captivating affair that broods with an innate sense of Celtic barbarity. I spoke to vocalist Alan 'Nemtheanga' Averill about history, culture and the very nature of Irishness.

Primordial have been around for almost fifteen years now, at least in one form or another. Would you attribute the continual low profile of the band to label indifference/problems or a conscious attempt at staying 'underground'?

- Nothing is really conscious to be honest, we just do as we do. However, we do sell okay and when I look back through old 'zines from '93 or so so many bands have given up. However it would be true to say that perhaps we have not achieved the recognition we deserved. What can I say. Somtimes it happens. Maybe things will change now we are on Metal Blade, maybe not.
Certainly in the US our profile has been low.

It's fairly obvious that your move to Metal Blade has increased your profile to a previously unheard of degree. Did you feel, in signing to one of the metal community's bigger labels, that the time had finally come to move things up a step, particularly with regards to your well-documented label-hopping problems of old?

- Totally. We were simply sick of having to worry that people were not doing their jobs, sick of people ripping us off. Sick of always wondering what might have been. So after long legal hassles we were able to move and so far no complaints. They dont promise you things they cannot deliver.

Musically, Primordial straddle numerous different influences, but it can be quite hard to pinpoint where it's coming from. There have always been elements of black metal amidst the epic meandering of Viking-era Bathory, with the resulting unmistakable 'Primordial sound'. Would the band agree with this summation or do they feel they have long since outgrown their influences?

<SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","
- in ways we have. when we write it simply sounds like primordial. in this day and age a genuinely original band is hard to come across but that is what we are. however our influences now are really the same as when we started out. bathory, sabbath, maiden, frost, venom, candlemass that kind of thing. to be honest we dont even think about it anymore.

Your earlier albums contained a distinct black metal flavour that was apparent even on 02\'s Storm Before Calm, but Primordial have been noticeably shifting towards a more emotional, epic slant for years now. Would you have felt restrained by ideological/musical limitations of black metal or do you just feel that your more \'epic\' sound was simply a natural progression for the band?

- no not at all really. we dont think about it and the next album might have lots of fast stuff and more black metal vocals etc. we just write as we do and dont think oh this album is more melancholic and this one is more aggressive. we came from the second wave of black metal and that will always be with us but we never were othodox black metal and i think people who are into that will understand me. everything we do is as natural as possible

Onto your new album, The Gathering Wilderness. A fairly major decision taken by the band was to move away from Academy Studios for your new material and instead opt for renowned producer Billy Anderson (Neurosis, Melvins, Fantomas etc.). Were you apprehensive about having such a big name producer do your record, in the sense that he isn\'t exactly known for producing bands of Primordial\'s ilk, instead being something of an aficionado of the sludge/stoner scene?

- sure, well sometimes things can become very safe and you need to shake things up. we wanted a rough, raw sound and we had some mutual friends so i called billy up and we made it happen. nothing is perfect and this album is far from perfect but thats what gives it character. if you want albums that sound like they are played by a computer then look elsewhere to be honest. you just need to challenge yourself sometime.
",1]);//--></SCRIPT>
- In ways we have. When we write it simply sounds like Primordial. In this day and age a genuinely original band is hard to come across but that is what we are. However, our influences now are really the same as when we started out. Bathory, Sabbath, Maiden, Frost, Venom, Candlemass, that kind of thing. To be honest we dont even think about it anymore.

Your earlier albums contained a distinct black metal flavour that was apparent even on 02's Storm Before Calm, but Primordial have been noticeably shifting towards a more emotional, epic slant for years now. Would you have felt restrained by ideological/musical limitations of black metal or do you just feel that your more 'epic' sound was simply a natural progression for the band?

- No not at all really. We dont think about it and the next album might have lots of fast stuff and more black metal vocals etc. We just write as we do and I dont think 'oh this album is more melancholic and this one is more aggressive'. We came from the second wave of black metal and that will always be with us but we never were orthodox black metal and I think people who are into that will understand me. Everything we do is as natural as possible.

Onto your new album, The Gathering Wilderness. A fairly major decision taken by the band was to move away from Academy Studios for your new material and instead opt for renowned producer Billy Anderson (Neurosis, Melvins, Fantomas etc.). Were you apprehensive about having such a big name producer do your record, in the sense that he isn't exactly known for producing bands of Primordial's ilk, instead being something of an aficionado of the sludge/stoner scene?

- Sure, well sometimes things can become very safe and you need to shake things up. We wanted a rough, raw sound and we had some mutual friends so I called Billy up and we made it happen. Nothing is perfect and this album is far from perfect but thats what gives it character. If you want albums that sound like they are played by a computer then look elsewhere to be honest. You just need to challenge yourself sometimes.

primordialband2resized.jpg

<SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","
The results of Anderson\'s contribution have been very positive, and as it turned out his raw, earthy style was perfectly suited to Primordial\'s pagan, organic atmosphere. Do you think he managed to capture the essence of Primordial\'s music better than ever before?

- i dont know, i dont have problems really with the sound of any of the albums considering the time and money that were spent on them and the stupid shit we had to deal with from teh various labels at the time. its just another chapter in the primordial book. people complain about this and that because they are so weened on this arch enemy modern kind of sound but we dont give a fuck about that, id rather listen to welcome to hell, blood fire death or sabbath bloody sabbath any day.

As an Irish band, do Primordial feel they inhabit a particular place within the framework of the Irish character, albeit a darker one? How does the band see itself in this respect?

- we are irish and irish people have a particular way of lookinga t the world. we are no different. there is a deep seated melancholy in the hearts of irish men. you can hear this in primordial. our history is a litany of tragedy and blood. this music was always meant to be dark it could never be any other way.

\'The Coffin Ships\' even goes so far as to weave a tale about a particular subject, the Irish famine (1845-50). From this and other songs in their back-catalogue it seems apparent that Primordial have a very sharp sense of their homeland\'s history, and their music certainly reflects this. Is the conveying of historical themes an important concern of the band, and does this tie into their connection with Irish culture?

- of course. one could not exist without the other. we play music because we have to, its in our culture and in our blood. not simply because we might as well. this is not about zombies or unicorns or fast cars or whatever, primordial is inextricably linked to our culture and our history and this will never change. we actually stand for something and say something....
",1]);//--></SCRIPT>
The results of Anderson's contribution have been very positive, and as it turned out his raw, earthy style was perfectly suited to Primordial's pagan, organic atmosphere. Do you think he managed to capture the essence of Primordial's music better than ever before?

- I dont know, I dont have problems really with the sound of any of the albums considering the time and money that were spent on them and the stupid shit we had to deal with from the various labels at the time. It's just another chapter in the Primordial book. People complain about this and that because they are so weened on this Arch Enemy modern kind of sound but we dont give a fuck about that, i'd rather listen to Welcome to Hell, Blood Fire Death or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath any day.

As an Irish band, do Primordial feel they inhabit a particular place within the framework of the Irish character, albeit a darker one? How does the band see itself in this respect?

- We are Irish and Irish people have a particular way of looking at the world. We are no different. There is a deep seated melancholy in the hearts of Irish men. You can hear this in Primordial. Our history is a litany of tragedy and blood. This music was always meant to be dark it could never be any other way.

'The Coffin Ships' even goes so far as to weave a tale about a particular subject, the Irish famine (1845-50). From this and other songs in their back-catalogue it seems apparent that Primordial have a very sharp sense of their homeland's history, and their music certainly reflects this. Is the conveying of historical themes an important concern of the band, and does this tie into their connection with Irish culture?

- Of course. One could not exist without the other. We play music because we have to, its in our culture and in our blood, not simply because we might as well. This is not about zombies or unicorns or fast cars or whatever, Primordial is inextricably linked to our culture and our history and this will never change. We actually stand for something and say something....

<SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","
The Gathering Wilderness seems an altogether more despondent record than its more forceful predecessor, Storm Before Calm. The bleaker production style contributes to this, but everything from the dark artwork to tracks such as the aforementioned \'Coffin Ships\' and the reflective hopelessness of closer \'Cities Carved in Stone\' points to this underlying sadness. Was this a deliberate attempt by the band to create a general atmosphere in keeping with the songs themselves, or did it just happen to turn out this way?

- nothing is really a deliberate attempt it just turned out like this. i think the album is more desperate sounding, more imploring and indeed darker. however even since we recorded storm the world seems a darker more desperate place so it would make sense our album sounds like it does. our music always had this sadness and melancholy to it. tragedy and might is how
i like to describe it all...

To follow up, are Primordial influenced by events that permeate the world? Is the dark, sorrowful atmosphere on The Gathering Wilderness an indirect soundtrack befitting current world events? Or is this just how the band themselves were feeling when they wrote these songs?

- the gathering wilderness mirrors our views of the world. this is not fantasy. this is grim reality in every way possible. there is no respite. if someone is looking for a catchy 4 minute metal fix with solos and catchy chorues then we are not the place to come. this is high art if you want and it reflects the state of the world it is not escapism and we are not entertainers

Aside from history, what are the main lyrical inspirations behind Primordial\'s lyrics?

- could be anything, travelling, meeting influential people, passages in time, something i read or hear, something in the news or current affairs, politics, women, history, mythology anything i dont close myself off to anything. i just know when i have to write i have to write.

Primordial have always exuded a kind of pagan feel in their work, such as in the use of imagery, artwork and so forth, Do the band feel a true affinity with Ireland\'s own pagan past, an extension of your historical leanings or simply an expression of your own personal beliefs?
",1]);//--></SCRIPT>
The Gathering Wilderness seems an altogether more despondent record than its more forceful predecessor, Storm Before Calm. The bleaker production style contributes to this, but everything from the dark artwork to tracks such as the aforementioned 'Coffin Ships' and the reflective hopelessness of closer 'Cities Carved in Stone' points to this underlying sadness. Was this a deliberate attempt by the band to create a general atmosphere in keeping with the songs themselves, or did it just happen to turn out this way?

- Nothing is really a deliberate attempt it just turned out like this. I think the album is more desperate sounding, more imploring and indeed darker. However, even since we recorded Storm... the world seems a darker more desperate place so it would make sense our album sounds like it does. Our music always had this sadness and melancholy to it. Tragedy and might is how I like to describe it all...

To follow up, are Primordial influenced by events that permeate the world? Is the dark, sorrowful atmosphere on The Gathering Wilderness an indirect soundtrack befitting current world events? Or is this just how the band themselves were feeling when they wrote these songs?

- The Gathering Wilderness mirrors our views of the world. This is not fantasy. This is grim reality in every way possible. There is no respite. If someone is looking for a catchy 4-minute metal fix with solos and catchy chorues then we are not the place to come. This is high art if you want, and it reflects the state of the world. It is not escapism and we are not entertainers.

Primordial_4resized.jpg

Aside from history, what are the main lyrical inspirations behind Primordial's lyrics?

- Could be anything; travelling, meeting influential people, passages in time, something I read or hear, something in the news or current affairs, politics, women, history, mythology, I dont close myself off to anything. I just know when I have to write I have to write.

Primordial have always exuded a kind of pagan feel in their work, such as in the use of imagery, artwork and so forth, Do the band feel a true affinity with Ireland's own pagan past, an extension of your historical leanings or simply an expression of your own personal beliefs?

<SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","
- we are not romantics and thats one thing that seperates us from many of the pagan bands. everything i take from myth i put into a modern context so it has some resonance in the world we live in today. there are great things to be taken from our pagan past and we use these things as a stepping stone for the here and now. these are our roots. some of us are more &quot;spiritual&quot; then others this is true but we all stand behind the natural concept of the band.

Vocalist Alan recently contributed his talents to doom outfit Void of Silence\'s recent album, Human Antithesis. Do you feel that this experience has helped you to grow as a musician and bring new elements to your singing to primordial that may have remained unexplored otherwise?

- sure it was great. its a colossal and dark work. and something i am really proud of. my time in italy was very special recording the album. you get to the stage where as a musican you do want to challenge yourself and work with other people, i will continue to do this in the future.

Can you see yourself working outside the confines of Primordial again in the future?

- yeah sure why not. it helps you evolve as a person.

With Primordial\'s past label troubles out of the way for the time being, can we expect a more sustained touring presence from them this time around? Are there plans for a major tour in the works?

- there are plans and we have lots of european festivals and some touring plans for later in the year but we are older now and committments are harder to deal with then they were even 5 years ago. so the years of playing for free are most certainly over. we cannot return home with nothing with mounting bills. so these days we have to choose carefully where we play. however we were never one of those bands you saw 3 times a year. a primordial show should be something rarer and special.

Finally, since Primordial seem to be riding the crest of some long overdue recognition, what are the immediate plans for the future and what can we expect?
",1]);//--></SCRIPT>
- We are not romantics and thats one thing that seperates us from many of the pagan bands. Everything I take from myth I put into a modern context so it has some resonance in the world we live in today. There are great things to be taken from our pagan past and we use these things as a stepping stone for the here and now. These are our roots. Some of us are more "spiritual" than others this is true, but we all stand behind the natural concept of the band.

Vocalist Alan recently contributed his talents to doom outfit Void of Silence's recent album, Human Antithesis. Do you feel that this experience has helped you to grow as a musician and bring new elements to your singing to Primordial that may have remained unexplored otherwise?

- Sure it was great. It's a colossal, dark work and something I am really proud of. My time in Italy was very special recording the album. You get to the stage where as a musican you do want to challenge yourself and work with other people, i will continue to do this in the future.

With Primordial's past label troubles out of the way for the time being, can we expect a more sustained touring presence from them this time around? Are there plans for a major tour in the works?

- There are plans and we have lots of European festivals and some touring plans for later in the year, but we are older now and commitments are harder to deal with than they were even 5 years ago. So the years of playing for free are most certainly over. We cannot return home with nothing with mounting bills, So these days we have to choose carefully where we play. However, we were never one of those bands you saw 3 times a year. A Primordial show should be something rarer and special.

Finally, since Primordial seem to be riding the crest of some long overdue recognition, what are the immediate plans for the future and what can we expect?

<SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","
- you can expect some shows, travelling, meeting people, spreading the band further, starting some new music and as usual. no compromise ever

joy and strength

culture is resistance
art is rebellion

nemtheanga

------------------------------<wbr>---
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - You care about security. So do we.