PRIMORDIAL - The Gathering Wilderness

If only for the opening 30 secs, "Storm Before Calm" is worth your bucks. But yeah, in the end it is less rewarding than their other stuff. Less of a gut-scraper, if that says anything?

I dig the new album, but I think the vocals are a bit low in the mix.

THE COFFIN SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally don't listen to this album anymore.

I think it needs darker weather, but more importantly it just doesn't have that lasting appeal to it.

I think it's gonna be one that i'll come back to every once in a while and love it, but not listen to it all the time, that kinda thing. Nothing wrong with that, it's a great album, but I think I'd listen to Spirit the Earth Aflame a bit more often.

Demilich said:
I think it's gonna be one that i'll come back to every once in a while and love it, but not listen to it all the time, that kinda thing. Nothing wrong with that, it's a great album, but I think I'd listen to Spirit the Earth Aflame a bit more often.

As far as I'm concerned, Spirit the Earth Aflame is a superior album.

edit: actually, I like The Gathering Wilderness better.

I think A.A.'s vocals have improved a bit from StEA to the present, but they were pretty fucking good even then. The more I listen to 'Spirit...', the less I like it, while The Gathering Wilderness seems to be operating the other way 'round. Only time and more listens will tell.

i do what i'm told. :dopey:

edit: checked the case, it's not there!!! but it's in my "winter listening" CD wallet, so i guess giving it another go was in the works already. :loco:

Every time I put this on, I only want to hear "The Coffin Ships." The rest is sort of ho-hum for me.

I've come to the conclusion that I just can't enjoy Primordial. Everyone has one or two bands that just refuse to click no matter what, and Primordial is certainly one of mine.

The Coffin Ships is maybe the 3rd or 4th best song on the album. Maybe the most immediate, but nothing more. The two after it are at least as good as it. Especially "Cities Carved in Stone".