Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
This CD really isn’t much different from Primordial’s other releases. For those not familiar with the band, Primordial play unique, atmospheric folk metal, with a versatile vocalist who’s delivery can for the most part be described as somewhat of an emotionally charged chanting, though he sometimes employs a more black metallish delivery, and sometimes an angry sounding yell. The songs on this CD are largely slow paced. The slow pace of the songs adds to the overwhelming feeling of melancholy and sorrow that has always marked Primordial’s sound. The music on this CD is about atmosphere, and not catchy, crushing riffs. Multi-layered guitar tracks work together to create an amazing sense of atmosphere achieved by few other, if any, bands. Some people might find the music simplistic, minimalistic, or repetitive upon first listen, but upon closer listen the multiple guitar tracks weave an intricate, complex musical mesh that is anything but simplistic. This is not the kind of metal you would put on when you are in the mood for something aggressive and charged with energy. It is something you would pop in when you are in the mood for some brooding, melancholic music with an atmosphere that will live you in a trance. The songs on this CD are all quite long (none of them fall short of the 7:00 mark), but never get boring. Actually, my favorite song on the CD is the longest song, The Coffin Ships, clocking in at almost 10:00. It is a very sad song, with lyrics dealing with the mid 19th century famine in Ireland, in which the country lost over 3,000,000 people. Alan’s vocal delivery sounds as sad and pained as the song’s lyrics are. This CD should appeal to fans of folk metal, atmospheric black metal, and doom metal, as elements of all can be found in the music. Hell, this CD should appeal to fans of good music in general. I do not think it is a stretch to say that this CD could well wind up being the best of 2005.

Blade Golem said:
Good review, although I can't quite say I agree with saying it might just be album of the year, not just yet. I've only listened to it twice, though, to be fair.
It is definitely the kind of album that grows on you. The more you listen to it, the more you pick up on the subtleties of the multi-layered guitar tracks, how one or two of the guitar lines frequently change, slightly altering the feeling of the melody and flow of the music. It almost gets even better with each listen. I can't stop listening to it. I listen to it at least once every day.

I'd also have to say that 'The Coffin Ships' is my favorite track off here. It took me awhile to get into the vocals, but after about 5 listens, this album is hitting me pretty good. It's an essential purchase if you want a good dose of music that isn't going to get boring after a few listens. I can say I'll probably still be hearing new things on this each time I listen to it for months to come.

Life Sucks said:
It is definitely the kind of album that grows on you. The more you listen to it, the more you pick up on the subtleties of the multi-layered guitar tracks, how one or two of the guitar lines frequently change, slightly altering the feeling of the melody and flow of the music. It almost gets even better with each listen. I can't stop listening to it. I listen to it at least once every day.

Yes, I've noticed it growing on me, I only ended up listening to the first two songs once before having to leave, and then decided to re-start from the beginning on the second listen, when I would have time to listen to the whole album. Those two songs had immediately grown on me, and the album itself seemed to grow on me as it progressed. I haven't had time to listen to it once a day, unfortunately, but with Spring Break coming up next week, hopefully I'll have that time. And be able to pick up a real copy of the album.

EDIT: As of yesterday, I now own a real copy of the album, and it's still growing on me.

I've been hear raves about this album, so I'm checking it out.

Pretty good album. It's definetely not an album for playing in your car, as you get so engrossed in the album, you lose track of what you should be doing.

Fantastic album, I'll agree. Epic and powerful are the two words that best describe it. I heard it for the first time last night, and already I know it will be the best album of 2005. Looking forward now to seeing Primordial twice in Ireland this year!!

I've listened to it a few times and it's alright, but I really don't like the vocals. The guy just sounds like he's shouting half the time, and not in a musical way like Tom Araya or Lemmy or someone like that. It's really just like a guy shouting they dragged in off the street.

Stormwatch said:
I've listened to it a few times and it's alright, but I really don't like the vocals. The guy just sounds like he's shouting half the time, and not in a musical way like Tom Araya or Lemmy or someone like that. It's really just like a guy shouting they dragged in off the street.
Hmm. I will agree that the vocals do take some time to get used to. But this was the case moreso with their previous material, when he didn't shout as much, and used more spoken word, heavily accented vocals. I actually really like his vocals on this album, and I don't think it sounds like he is just shouting. His vocals are very espressive and very emotional, and range from sounding sad and dejected to bitter and angry. In fact, Alan is one of my favorite vocalists, if not my favorite.

I agree in part with the review, however I do find a number of the elements throughout particularly catchy rich in sound.

I've only listened to it once in full and then in parts since then, as its definitely a mood driven album. However, it is enjoyable and is a good change of pace.

If you do indeed like this album, I suggest you check out Alchemist's; Lunasphere, Organasm and Austral Alien (Spiritech is also recommended by Alch fans, but I am yet to hear it). They have similar vocals, but present a more progressed cosmic sound with samples and wash effects across the music.

Stormwatch said:
I'd have to agree, but I've only heard it once, I probably need to find some time to give it a few more spins.

I officially own this as well now. It is so catchy. The melodies are catchy and atmospheric and riveting and downright hypnotic at times. The mp3 sample and LS's description made me feel like it was an Irish Burzum with yelled vocals. What I have here sounds like Opeth covering Mastodon's "Hearts Alive" meshed with a heavy dose of Hammerheart-era Bathory.

Fucking awesome shit, y'all!

I thought AAN's vocals on 'Spirit the Earth Aflame' were much better than on this. Thought that's not to say I didn't still enjoy the hell out of 'em.

One time I had a really rough night and came home and put this on, and for some reason "Cities Carved In Stone" really hit home with me:cry:

P.S: I know this won't help draw listeners to this album but for some reason AAN sounds like James Hetfield on "The Song Of The Tomb"