Pro Tools 10 - Mountain Lion VST FxPansion???

Weirdbeard

New Metal Member
Oct 31, 2014
Hello everyone,
I'm a long time lurker, but haven't really ever posted. I am hoping someone can answer a question for me. I have recently bought a new MAC pro, in an effort to get everything compatible, so I can get an Apollo eventually. IN the mean time, I need my mac to be compatible with my current interface which is a Presonus Studio Live 24. The new MAC is running Mountain Lion and I've upgraded my Pro Tools from 9 to 10.3.8.

In PT9 on my Snow Leopard MAC, I was using the FXpansion VST to RTAS converter to use several VST plugs. Now I've tried using the same converter and found that the wrap works, but no audio passes through the plugin once it is inserted on a channel in PT. The channel goes completely silent.

I've found a boat load of people with the same complaint, but couldn't find anyone with a solution. Does anyone here know if there is one? Thanks in advance for any help and my appologies if this should have been posted elsewhere.

What version of the wrapper are you using? Is it possible to either use an older or newer version of the wrapper that's compatible with PT 10.3.8? Also I believe 10.3.10 is the latest version of PT10, which is what I'm running on Mountain Lion. I don't have the wrapper but an update in either the plugin or PT may help.

Thanks for the suggestion! I appreciate the feedback. I was able to find a solution that I will post here for anyone that may find this page while searching for a solution to the same problem.

The below worked for me using Mountain Lion, even though the article references Lion. Also I should note that the article is referencing a particular (Powercore) plugin, but this solution worked with all my VSTs. Just be sure to use the VST to RTAS adapter to unwrap all your plugins that are not working after following the steps in the article. Then start from scratch and wrap them all over again. Restart PT and everything should work.

Link to the full article with screenshots:
http://www.wimbledonsound.com/powercore-and-protools-10-no-audio-fix-for-lion/

Problem

Lion changed a default permissions setting on the /Library/Application Support folder to Read Only for admin, and when you install Powercore and it tries to wrap the plugins to RTAS using the FXPansion VST->RTAS wrapper it can’t write a core component that it needs in order to communicate between instances and pass audio around. This meant that the Powercore, as well as all the other FXpansion wrapped plugins no longer had any sound. They seem to wrap ok, launch ok, but silence…
Solution

First check that the system location /Library/Application Support is writeable from your admin user-account and that the file com.fxpansion.fxshared.bundle exists in that folder If that component doesn’t exist, or it can’t be created because the system permissions don’t allow for it, the wrapper won’t be able to start its audio stream. So… navigate to /Library/Application Support and hit cmd+I to see the properties. Click the padlock (and enter your password if prompted). Change the permissions from Read Only to Read & Write and you’re done.