Any good bass VSTs for mac?

eetsummorr

New Metal Member
Jun 6, 2011
Anyone know of any good Bass vsts that are free?

Im just trying to record some demos, and have DI'd the bass, and the tone is a bit lame. need to something to boost the tone and the low end, that isnt going to make fart sounds!

Im using pro tools, and a mac G5, so pref something that is RTAS or VST!

Free plugs on a Mac? I lol'ed (Mac user for many years). Good luck finding one!

Free plugs on a Mac? I lol'ed (Mac user for many years). Good luck finding one!

mac_pc.jpg

You don't necessarily need an amp sim to get a good recording tone with bass. If you have a decent enough bass with onboard tones set how you want (i.e. fiddling with the tone knobs), try recording the DI (as you've done) on one track and copy and paste it.

On your first track, set a LP around 3500 to cut the highs and do a big dip a few db around 500Hz with a Q between 1.25-3.5 (to taste of course, use your ears) then compress the ever living shit out of it ... this track is going to be your bottom end of the bass.

On the second track, set a HP all the way up to around 550-600Hz (12db slope should do the trick) and LP everything from 4000-4500kHz (to taste of course) since everything above that is pretty much nonsense for bass ... you can get lower if you want to give your guitars/drums/vocals more room, but that's entirely up to you. Now add some distortion ... I recommend "NoAmp!" which is based off a Sansamp bass driver ... not the best emulation of it, but it's perfect for what I need it for, sounds good, and it's free. It's a windows-based vst, which I know you're looking for a Mac-based plugin of sorts, but all the plug-in consists of is a .dll file (I dunno if you can execute those on a Mac since I'm a PC guy, so don't burn me if you can't!). When you add whatever distortion you decide to use, make it sound hideous ... this track on it's own is going to sound like shit, but once you start adjusting the volume of your bass distortion track, everything starts sitting together very nicely.

Once you've adjusted the fader levels of both tracks to your ears' content, I normally send both of those to a single "Bass Buss" where I apply global EQ (do a cut in the lower sub-Hz where the kick's sub bass sits so they don't conflict with one another) and cut/boost as necessary. I'll also add some additional compression to "glue" the two tracks to one another a bit better and also add some limiting to really squash the bass even more so it stays consistent volume/dynamic wise ... if you need volume changes, automation is your friend.

You also have the option of using bass cabinet impulses (which you can probably find for free using Google) and loading them into a plug-in for Mac that loads convolution reverb impulse files ... check out LAConvolver (it's free!) if you wanted that bass cabinet sound, but that's entirely up to you!

The best part about all that was that was all free! The only instance I would ever add an amp sim is to give the tone a bit more color, but if you carefully EQ/Compress, you really don't need one for bass. Hope this helps!

noamp = pc vst only, no mac version
la convolver = audio unit only, not vst

Thanks for clearing that up. Like I said, I know nothing of Macs so I wasn't sure if they could operate dlls or not. Same with LAConvolver ... I just found that with a Google search for the OP. If the OP has Logic, he could just use Space Designer to load the impulse files according to the almighty Google

Waves GTR Solo is pretty close to free right now http://www.wavesgtr.com/html/product_gtr_solo.html

That being said you need a good mic pre anyway, why not get one that works great as a bass DI as well? If you are into the whole lunchbox addiction, I love the Shadow Hills Mono Gama for bass DI and vocals. That way your DI sounds great on the way in.

You could always go with the good ol' MXR or SanAmp Bass DI route as well.

I hope this helps.

You don't necessarily need an amp sim to get a good recording tone with bass. If you have a decent enough bass with onboard tones set how you want (i.e. fiddling with the tone knobs), try recording the DI (as you've done) on one track and copy and paste it.

On your first track, set a LP around 3500 to cut the highs and do a big dip a few db around 500Hz with a Q between 1.25-3.5 (to taste of course, use your ears) then compress the ever living shit out of it ... this track is going to be your bottom end of the bass.

On the second track, set a HP all the way up to around 550-600Hz (12db slope should do the trick) and LP everything from 4000-4500kHz (to taste of course) since everything above that is pretty much nonsense for bass ... you can get lower if you want to give your guitars/drums/vocals more room, but that's entirely up to you. Now add some distortion ... I recommend "NoAmp!" which is based off a Sansamp bass driver ... not the best emulation of it, but it's perfect for what I need it for, sounds good, and it's free. It's a windows-based vst, which I know you're looking for a Mac-based plugin of sorts, but all the plug-in consists of is a .dll file (I dunno if you can execute those on a Mac since I'm a PC guy, so don't burn me if you can't!). When you add whatever distortion you decide to use, make it sound hideous ... this track on it's own is going to sound like shit, but once you start adjusting the volume of your bass distortion track, everything starts sitting together very nicely.

Once you've adjusted the fader levels of both tracks to your ears' content, I normally send both of those to a single "Bass Buss" where I apply global EQ (do a cut in the lower sub-Hz where the kick's sub bass sits so they don't conflict with one another) and cut/boost as necessary. I'll also add some additional compression to "glue" the two tracks to one another a bit better and also add some limiting to really squash the bass even more so it stays consistent volume/dynamic wise ... if you need volume changes, automation is your friend.

You also have the option of using bass cabinet impulses (which you can probably find for free using Google) and loading them into a plug-in for Mac that loads convolution reverb impulse files ... check out LAConvolver (it's free!) if you wanted that bass cabinet sound, but that's entirely up to you!

The best part about all that was that was all free! The only instance I would ever add an amp sim is to give the tone a bit more color, but if you carefully EQ/Compress, you really don't need one for bass. Hope this helps!

Yeah dude that helps allot.

Have heard similar tips before, but you cleared some stuff up and gave me some new ideas.

Cheers!

Yup I found this to be the key to a solid bass sound. Was working on a new song recently and couldn't figure out why the bass was lacking oomph. Boosting lows and messing with the compressor didn't fix it; seemed like the lows just wouldn't boost.

Well, turns out it just needed a broad cut in the 250-600 Hz region, which freed up lots of sonic space otherwise taken up by mud. That allowed the bass compressor and bus compressor to do their jobs and kaboom I had my big punchy low end. So yeah, too much in the 300-500 (+/-) area = lameness.

I vote fuck software and get a preamp made for bass.

I'm drawing a blank on what I could recommend that wouldn't hit your wallet to hard though. I've heard ok things about the behringer pedal:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBDI21

But it is behringer so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. haha

This thing is pretty decent - was able to get a pretty solid tone once using one of these.

It's a stompbox, but it's cheapo plastic... It'll probably break if you operate the bypass with your foot, which is ironic as it's supposed to be an effects pedal

IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX sounds awesome and does not cost that much. Totally worth it!