pro tools and kontakt session management

kind of annoying. but i have guitar players here that can hear the difference between 128 sample buffer and 64 sample buffer on my ADAM's, so we need to be able to track to 64 samples buffer mode (neither of us can hear that amount of latency) (and for wise cracks who get in here and plan to explain it takes a millisecond for the sound to come from the monitors and reach our ears, trust me i know, but you're not computing the amount of latency involved with using a plugin to track the guitars ON TOP of the original 64 samples of latency. round trip latency is actually around 300 or so samples, guestimate).

Since I'm a wise crack :) did you do a blind test with them with different buffer modes, or they were hearing or feeling the difference knowing in which buffer setting Pro Tools was on?
If they can tolerate 300, it's not a difference of 64 that is going to make a big difference IMO.
64 samples in 44100 is about 1.5 ms.
So if I understood well they play with no problems with 300 samples (7ms) but they complaint at 364 samples (8,5ms) ?
That seems strange...

Anyhow, why don't you just buy Ampfarm TDM only for recording which has a latency of 3 or 4 samples , then you can use 128 or even 256 samples Buffer settings with everybody happy :)

And just some things to consider:
(Took it from another thread but didn't confirm this info)
"
Example of latencies:
a/d conversion: .25ms
audio interface input latency: 1.5ms
plugin/processing latency: 0.5ms
audio interface output latency: 1.5ms
d/a conversion: .25 ms

total: 4ms

Then you have an additional 1ms of latency for every 1 feet of distance between you and your monitors.
"

So maybe you can get your guys closer to the monitors 2 feet and you'll have your problem solved :lol:

Workaround for now is to print the tracks after drums and disable the samplers, continue tracking, then after tracking and before the mix delete the bounced tracks and enable the samplers again at a higher buffer. Seams like I'm always screwing with drum parts throughout the whole process.

Pain in the ass I know, but I used to have to do this with my old system when I was halfway though the mix and we needed to retrack some vocals or something.

Workaround for now is to print the tracks after drums and disable the samplers, continue tracking, then after tracking and before the mix delete the bounced tracks and enable the samplers again at a higher buffer. Seams like I'm always screwing with drum parts throughout the whole process.

Pain in the ass I know, but I used to have to do this with my old system when I was halfway though the mix and we needed to retrack some vocals or something.

This

thats how i have to do everything.

pita, but at least that work flow works

problem that i still have is, since pro tools is all real time, recording the kontakt playback = pops and clicks

sometimes there will only be one glitch in the whole song, and sometimes i dont catch it for days...

is there anyway to gaurantee that it will record the whole thing without the glitch?

I thought it worked ok when the buffer was high? Put the buffer high, print tracks, bring the buffer back down and carry on recording. Or am I missing something?

I thought it worked ok when the buffer was high? Put the buffer high, print tracks, bring the buffer back down and carry on recording. Or am I missing something?

i thought so too
until i listened again today and found a glitch in the kick track

even on high buffer its still popping

i tried 8000 something and it seems to be alright
but then again, its hard to catch a glitch sometimes until its too late

i feel like bounce audio would be more reliable, but im pretty sure you can only do master output, and only one at a time

that would take... 10 mix downs per song, at 3 minutes each, so half an hour

hmm, thats about 12% of the session time per day haha