Pro Tools LE 8 Upgrade - Worth it?

sentinel72

May 14, 2009
For you Pro Tools 7 LE users...

Did you upgrade to 8?

Are you going to?

Why do/did you feel its worth the $150?

I haven't used 7. I have it after picking up a cheap Mbox2 to use elsewhere.

I'm considering trying PT since I have it though. But as of now I dont have much PT experience.

So 8 is as new to me as 7 is. Or 6. Or 5. Or 4...

There is a big useful jump from 7 to 8?

You won't be able to connect the behringer pres to the mbox via ADAT. Massive shame because Behringer rules. I have racks full of Behringer gear.

Much easier if you posted all your equipment questions in one thread. Google will have answers to all these basic questions too

the Behringer thing has nothing to do with this.

My only question here is PT 7 LE vs PT 8 LE.

Worth the $150 upgrade price?

Not all DAW upgrades are worth the money. I am not familiar with Pro Tools. If I decide to give it a shot I may as well get the 8 upgrade if its worth it. Rather than get started in 7 only to need the upgrade.

blah...
There is a big useful jump from 7 to 8?

oh ok then :)

Yeah, massive jump.

More tracks, many included virtual instruments, huge MIDI improvements, 30 new effects. Elastic Pitch. Playlist View. Visual improvements.

I'm interested to see what they'll announce at NAMM in January. I don't want to say wait till then, but there is a possibility of PT 8.1 coming.

dont you get the X.X upgrades free though?

I mean if I upgrade to 8, wouldnt I get 8.1 free? Its 9 that I would need to pay for next.

No?

it depends on when you bought it. Roll back to last October. At AES 2008 they announced PT 8 and released it in November/December. Anyone that bought a LE system after the announcement got PT 8 free. Anyone before by even a day had to pay $150 for the upgrade.

So if they announce something new in Jan, and you bought your upgrade today then you'd have to pay again. Either way, I think $150 for the upgrade is a no-brainer.
You'd pay $10 at least for a plugin right? There are over 30 new plugins in PT 8, all useful.

PT8 has been faster and more stable for me than 7. Has a few things that make the workflow much better. The new plug ins are really good. Not messed about with the new VI's but I've heard good things. There's also the increased track count, playlist view is excellent. You can use more inserts. The list goes on and on.

Just buy it, totally worth it.

sounds like a solid move going with 8.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

As I said, I havent used PT before, but I gather from the LE Mbox2 thing that I have to use that interface with it.

If I need more than 2 inputs (or I want better inputs) I can upgrade the interface to something else PT compatible...

OR

Use something better that is NOT compatible, and capture the tracks in another DAW then move the wavs over to PT8 afterwards. Like I read about someone using their 2 firepods and Reaper to do that.

I wouldnt have a problem doing that.

sounds like a solid move going with 8.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

As I said, I havent used PT before, but I gather from the LE Mbox2 thing that I have to use that interface with it.

If I need more than 2 inputs (or I want better inputs) I can upgrade the interface to something else PT compatible...

OR

Use something better that is NOT compatible, and capture the tracks in another DAW then move the wavs over to PT8 afterwards. Like I read about someone using their 2 firepods and Reaper to do that.

I wouldnt have a problem doing that.

Yep you're fine doing that either way. Personally I've got M Powered and a Profire 2626, so if I can get by with 18 in's I'll record in Protools. If I need more inputs then I can use Reaper and get all 26 in's from my Profire if I need them.

nevermind. the profire is a PT compatible interface. I gotcha.

Just got my upgrade. Looks like I'm going PT LE. :headbang:

alright, all that upgrade talk for nothing.

Turns out the PT discs I got with my Mbox are already version 8. :zombie:

I guess I am retarded after all. :cry:

Tomorrow the challenge of taking the one I just bought back. :erk: