Pro Tools Newbie

hatecrawler

Punisher of Strings
Aug 24, 2011
Sweden
www.patrikvonporat.com
Just bought Pro Tools 9 with Mbox Pro and was wondering something. My plan is to record an album with my band, what sample rate should I use and bit rate? 16 or 24 bit? 44.1 or 192 kHz? Pros and cons?

Best,
Hatecrawler

24 bit is a very useful option because it improves the dynamic range.

The samplerate is a bit of a controversial issue. A lot of pro studios record at "only" 44.1 kHz. Others use 48, 88.2, 192 kHz etc.
Personally I think 44.1 is enough. The latency with higher samplerates will be lower, that's a plus.. but the CPU will have more work to do.
And the tracks will be a lot bigger. In the end you will have to downsample to 44.1 kHz for a CD release if you used a higher samplerate, just don't forget that when you're done.

:lol: I love that statement.

I was about to write "if you've got the time, record a minute at 24bit with 44.1 and then 192 , then downsample both to 44.1 / 16 bit and see if you can tell a difference"
Thing is, the different samplerate will affect how some plugins and VSTi's work, some might not even work right, others might have a better sound (supposedly).
If someone was to really find out if there was a difference, he'd have to record the whole project with two setups at once, and do all the mixing on both systems with the same plugins and settings, then downsample to 44.1/16 and you'd have a chance to tell if it was worth it. But I don't see how anyone would have the setup and will to do that anytime soon ;)