Probable Redundant Thread: Your Favorite Book

S4R

gooey
Sep 7, 2001
.il.us
My favorite book and the one that brought me much joy in cilhdhood is Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends. I never have, and never will grow tired of those poems. Whenever I read it memories return of my mother and I sitting on the couch while she reads the poems to me. Oh no, I think I am going to cry...:cry: :cry:... :lol:.

that's a nice one, Hoser.

At The Mountains Of Madness written by H.P. Lovecraft is my favourite.

Lord Of the Rings
I was at the movies last night (watched "das Experiment") and before the film started they showed a trailer of the forthcoming 1st part of the LOTR movie...awe-inspiring!!! I don't think i have ever felt that way while watching a trailer before

:hotjump:

Zarathustra by Nietzsche
Vampire The masquerade Revised Edition
The antichrist by Nietzsche
Human too Human By Nietzsche
The book of Nod
Clanbook: Tzimisce 2nd edition ( gotta love that Kupala's night tale)

Baldur's Gate 2 game manual ( i know im patetic )

I like the classics (I'm not well-read anyway beyond my education. :( I have a short attention span- and I"m pretty damn lazy too!! ):

The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad-- guys love this one, impressionistic and disturbing, hailed by many as the most intense reading experience.

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky- I feel Raskolnikov's pain! (Dostoyevsky is one dark and morbid fellow- a must read for intellectual death metallers imo)

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens- truly imbibing literature full of ironies and twists and turns. I feel like Pip too sometimes you know.

Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain - Twain is at once flippant and serious, virile and warm.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy- this is some pretty feminine shit (it's also like 1000 pages long). A good read for when you are feeling sensitive and in the sentimental mood. :tickled:

I've begun reading Tolkien's trilogy in preparation of the movie and because friends have recommended it-- seems boring so far- i'm at the part where foldo (?) -- can't even remember -- embarks upon his journey. Tolkien has an exacting imagination but there is a crude coldness about his style that I need when I read! We'll see.

And, btw, yes I am a Harry Potter freak too (my sister got me into them), but I definitely won't be in any rush to see the upcoming film. (hate books made into film!!)

I hate books! I hate reading! Hehe...
But that's probably because I've never
found the books that fit for me...
I have ONE favourite;

Nick Hormby's "High Fidelity".

He writes the exact way that I think... hehe...
I'm reading Lord Of The Rings now, after
everyone telling me this is the perfect book
for me... So far the start is good :eek:)

The Book of Nod! Fuck yeah.. I love that one. Too bad I had to give it back to my friend (who's a Jehova's Witness with permanent fang-caps on his teeth)..

Overall favourite book is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

It's simply the most amazing book I've ever read, and I still think about it almost daily, trying to figure it out. Stories within stories within stories, all fully annotated with thousands of footnotes and quotes that never really existed. If you can find this book, BUY IT and read it NOW. It's graphic, in a number of ways, but if your skin isn't thin, then I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

There's an entire forum devoted to figuring out the mysteries in the book, all the hidden text and symbolic meaning behind even the most ordinary of passages. It took 10 years to write, and I hope that it will one day achieve the fame (notoriety??) that it deserves!!

There are a lot of sites, but the most official is the forum, which is full of spoilers. Try... http://www.houseofleaves.co.uk/

I can't say enough about this book :D

Lord Of the rings, I too saw the trailer and I shit my pants can´t wait for the 1. part, I´ve never been very excited about movies but this one stands out :loco:

On another note, I've been meaning to get "This is IT" - Alan Watts. A wise man once referred it to me. ;)

Lord of the rings starts off rather slow, but its once you finished the book you realise what a good book it was. I'm just starting to read it for the third time now

The Silmarillion is also very good book. Its The Lord of the Rings bible, it explains the creation story, stories of all the gods, hereos, and alot about the history of the various civilations. But don't read this book before Lord of the Rings because you will be completly confused.

Transfixed, read Ender's Shadow too, it's the same story from Bean's perspective, I like Bean :D

I don't really have a favorite as I don't read as much as I should, I do read stuff but not very often, I guess my fav is "The Age of Spiritual Machines by Ray Kurzweil" I also like some Dean Koontz books, particularly The Bad Place and Lightning (a lot of his stuff is repetitive and boring as hell, but those two were great).