professional laptop audio solution that ISNT firewire?!?

guys, please check this out... its a latency tester.... The number you see in your control panel dont reflect REAL WORLD latency.

http://www.centrance.com/products/ltu/

Im not an expert, but Ive referenced using pci cards from various manu's as well as my own personal Firebox/M-audio 410 units.

I have the $$$, and I want the lowest latency possible. The RME seems to be the best (and most expensive) choice!!

It's obviously not a huge market as there are such few solutions for us guys wanting to do EVERYTHING in VST instruments.

As mentioned though, im not an expert so please feel free to show me up, but is it not a known fact that the firewire interface introduces latency over PCI/PCI Express...

Damn, sounds cool, downloading...

If that sounds cool to you...
...you're geekier than me.

What exactly are you doing that requires "lower than thou" latency?
Running the same gear on a real computer will get you better, more stable, reliable results. Are you trying to record 16 tracks at once to the laptop drive too?

audiogeekzine:

Thanks for asking, this could explain it.

A while back, I invited some guys over to try something. We hooked up my gear (guitar/bass/drums) all in, and then we loaded up Cubase with all the usual plugins....

So, picture a few instances of Guitar Rig running (bass/guitar) , Drums (Superior 2.0, or DKHS at the time) as well as some reverb/compression....

We found it extremly rewarding that we could jam with just headphones on, and play whenever... I bought a 4 channel headphone amp and we can get a few guys together and jam/write some tunes in real time whilest it sounds great!!

Needless to say, it's a real resource pig, but I have a overclocked Quad with 4 gigs of Ram running the show.

It's a real unique way of jamming and doing some recording.... If I had more channels, i'd like to do some vocals as well in realtime.....

Anyhow, thats the method to my madness, and I want to recreate that experience with a portable solution, that I could take to a friends or whoevers place....

In such a situation with so much going on, latency is an enemy. So I can understand the whole question as to why a non professional would have such demands, but once you've had success with something, its tough to compromise...:headbang:

Sounds like fun actually.

what about reducing the # of samples in Superior 2, no oversampling in guitar rig. and after the songwriting and tracking is done, turn the buffer up, turn on the high quality features.