Prog Metal Groupies: Do They Exist?

Zappa Appreciative

Didja Get Any Onya?
Jun 4, 2004
Texas
www.moviepalaces.com
I've been going to concerts since 1978 (Rush on the Hemispheres tour was my first - kick ass show) and the groupie thing wasn't that big of a deal. Sure, there were a few girls hanging around, but not that many. I don't think it was any big deal.

Enter the eighties glam rock era and it seemed like the groupie thing was what the media concentrated on (and why not, the music sucked). You watch VH1 (painfully) and that's all they talk about.

Today, I don't see many groupies. But then again, the only shows that I see are King Crimson, Rush, Evergrey and assorted prog metal bands. Oddly enough, the bands are consumed with doing the groupie thing. Most of them are out doing meet and greets and hanging out with the fans, not trying to see how many girls they can nail.

So then by this definition a girl is not a groupie if she:
  1. "does" a band member on the bus (or else where as long as it's not backstage)?
  2. Gives a BJ or handjob?
  3. Hangs out with the band and sees them whenever they are in a surrounding area and or would travel to see the band often?
  4. If the band member makes a pre-arranged date with the fan and they hook up later (in a different city) and the band member and the female keep in contact prior to the date and afterwards?
  5. Makes out with a band member and it doesn't lead to sex?
So then does the fan cease to be a groupie in these case scenarios? :erk: I am not trying to be a smart ass, I am just trying to get some understanding on how women are seen when they hang around bands. :confused: ESPECIALLY when sexual innuendoes are passed around and the woman does not "bite" for lack of better words. I always found this subject VERY interesting.

THANKS!!:headbang: