Prog Power Performers getting hosting gigs on Headbanger's Ball

jhallum

Computer guy
Nov 24, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Visit site
Last week Gus G headlined Headbanger's Ball (and played a Firewind Video), this week Casey Grillo and Thom Youngblood host. is Gus G's appearance the first appearance of a Prog Power performer hosting the show? Inquiring Minds want to know.

I've always thought that our unique genres of metal will make the mainstream eventually.... maybe it's a sign? Or just because Gus G. played with Ozzy that he's getting recognition for that and not Firewind?

I don't honestly think Gus G being on there means much considering he's Ozzy's guitarist. That's why he's on. The Kamelot guys though do surprise me.

I don't honestly think Gus G being on there means much considering he's Ozzy's guitarist. That's why he's on. The Kamelot guys though do surprise me.

Sort of. I think it's interesting that while he's Ozzy's guitarist, his affiliation was prominently displayed "Firewind" He also spent a lot of time talking about his non-Ozzy projects, like Firewind, Dream Evil, and other bands that he's played in. Pretty neat, actually.

Sort of. I think it's interesting that while he's Ozzy's guitarist, his affiliation was prominently displayed "Firewind" He also spent a lot of time talking about his non-Ozzy projects, like Firewind, Dream Evil, and other bands that he's played in. Pretty neat, actually.

Now that is cool he was able to talk about those bands, though I still don't care for Firewind.

I tried watching this again a few years ago, but ended up fast forwarding through the whole thing except for maybe/sometimes watching one video.

I think I may give it another chance. Their site says:

New Episodes Premiere Mondays at 3a ET on MTV2.

Their site says:

New Episodes Premiere Mondays at 3a ET on MTV2.

Man. Last time I watched HBB it came on at like 10PM Saturday nights and the dude from Hatebreed was the permanent host. Kinda crazy that new episodes would air at 3am on a monday. Could be the show is saturated with metalcore and no one watches it (hence the infomercial time slot) and the people that do just DVR it.

Wasn't HBB cancelled back in '95?

They brought it back in '03. It's extremely hit or miss, imo. I've seen some Lizzy Borden, Lordi, Children of Bodom, Arch Enemy, and some other good stuff every so often. But for the most part it's all crap. Plus the new time slot pretty much dooms it to obscurity.

It's also the fact that MTV's schedule has bled over to MTV2. Where music videos are only shown between the hours of 2am and 7am and all their crappy reality shows are marathoned all day on MTV2. People don't bother going to tv for music videos anyway. They just view them on Youtube.
There's a 2 and a half hour marathon of Run's House followed by 3 and a half hours of Pimp My Ride on today for those interested.

It's good to see Kamelot recognized with a hosting slot, however, don't go thinking that Angra are going to host anytime soon. The American scene only takes baby steps toward showing good signs, and then falls incredibly short.

I've always thought that our unique genres of metal will make the mainstream eventually.... maybe it's a sign? Or just because Gus G. played with Ozzy that he's getting recognition for that and not Firewind?

Yeah - I think it is definitely the Ozzy connction.

Do we really want our genre of music going mainstream?? It seems that alone is a reason for many people to say a band is "selling out" (e.g., Metallica). Hell, I miss the days when Ozzy WASN'T mainstream!! Look what happened to Savatage!! I LOVE TSO,but miss Savatage.

Chris :headbang: