Progged Radio shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Progged

Feb 7, 2002
Tucson, AZ
www.progulus.com
Well gang, I have thought this over for quite a while now, and after talking with my family I have decided to shut down the station. I no longer have the time to maintain it, as you have noticed by the lack of updates over the past few months. I also realize I now no longer have the desire to maintain the mundane aspect of the station.

For those of you that don't know, I have been running this station for over eight years now. Well, YOU GUYS (the listeners) have been running the station as a community for the last three or four years. There have been some VERY supportive listeners to help kill the cost of this adventure. You know who you are, so I am not going to list any names.

This has not been an easy decision for me, but I feel the time to pull the plug has arrived. Thank you to Jon Yarger for starting the PRRN all these years ago. To Deron Blevins for hosting the station site and being a great friend - You da man! To Matt Sweitzer for running one of the coolest syndicated shows on any media! To Louis Louw for writing the greatest software for an amateur or professional broadcaster. To Live365 for keeping amateur internet radio affordable to the laymen, and keeping the trade orgs at bay. To the listeners for keeping this station running, and last but not least - To the bands. The variety of musical genres on this station is due to the superior musicianship of the bands. I salute you guys, and hope you all continue to play music for the rest of your lives!

And I just found this station yesterday, how ironic it's shutting down already.

Aww MAN!!!

And i've had a CRAPPY week! now THIS. . .
UH. . . why cant the "riegns" be taken over by someone else? this is really crappy news, i know youve worked HARD all those years to run this station, but i have been telling anybody who CARED, about this station! Is there a way TO "let someone" take it over? This music and thrash/death metal is the "bottom of the barrel" of the music genre's, and its a huge shame that such a PERFECT site- to the music listings, info, request list and how "user friendly it is, and the chat board, that many have made "new friends" with. . .
will now be. . . gone.

I could have not made a BETTER set-up. I am almost sad to tears about this. This MUSIC keeps me alive, keeps me inspired as well as its listeners, i wish i could have helped MORE, i wish i had the great JOB to donate CD's and money to keep it going!
I hope someone will come along to create a program and site that lives up to this one.
But this is a SAD day for PROG and the prog community.
Being inandated with the CRAP on radio T.V. and other media of TOP 40, rap, (new)Country, and what THEY call "alternative" and other MEDIOCRITY, will be hated MORE in my eyes, WE who chatted and laughed, critisized, supported, exchanged ideas, as well as NEW bands and soo much more will miss this place and all that CHAN (!YOU!)has put into it!
Thank you Chan for giving this to us, i can only say soo much, but thank you for the brief (3 months. . . damn) time i have been dedicated to youre program, but PLEASE, if someone can take this "site" over, tell us who or "how" because. . . i cant believe its over.

Take care Chan and GOD bless you and your family and career!
with whole heart i say. . . thank YOU.
(and to the "nameless" that helped Chan, YOU are HERO's!!!)

-Prog Fanatic/artist/guitarist/idiot
Marco Antonio Velasquez III a.k.a. MAVIII

"freak of nature fact or fright
puts up with pain puts up with spite
scarred up shoes have lost their sheen
it looks like better days they've seen
chameleon man naive tycoon
will eat the poor with silver spoon
he'll jest and jeer through looking glass
but nest right near the upper class
who'll be the first one pointing at the simple man
now i know im only lucky, every freak of nature should know
how to RUN THE WHOLE FREAKIN' SHOW
freak of nature'd rather be, no less a man than you or me
he'd rather look the other way choose to fight another day
i take things for granted turn the tables 'round
now i know im only lucky, every freak of nature should know
how to RUN THE WHOLE FREAKIN' SHOW
what if i was down
to much goin' on runnin' out of time
AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT!
... every freak of nature should know
how to RUN THE WHOLE FREAKIN' SHOW"
every freak of nature ...should know!"

"Freaks of nature"- KANSAS (Ragsdale, Walsh, Ehart)

-too ALL the freaks of nature- PROG ON and CARRY ON!!!

mavartworx@yahoo.com
http://www.myspace.com/9014703
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :OMG: :ill: :cry: :erk: :yuk: :yell: :headbang: :worship:

Chan, We all understand and wish you the best. If I can help to move the station, I'll do what I can. I've learned so much here and met so many wonderful people. My best to you. Buckminsterfullerene

Chan,

You've offered a great deal of your time to this station over the years and I want to personally thank you for that. Progged radio has touched so many of us, and opened up our eyes (and wallets) to a vast amount of great new music.

One thought to consider... would you be willing to transfer the intellectual property of the site (only) over to another party... someone who is already in posession of a vast musical collection (of original disks) that closely mirrors Progged radio already? That could possibly be a win-win situation for everybody. I have a person in mind and you probably know who I'm speaking of, but I don't want to mention any names here in this forum thread.

Dear Chan,

I completely understand your decision; i did the same 10 years ago....
When you shut it down, and (hopefully) move it to someone else, you'll have a VERY bad day, believe me. But you're doing right, you have to care for you and your family.

Honestly, we have to thank you more than I can tell for all your efforts to run the station!
With your donation/request system you created an incredible music archive which is invaluable. (I hope it is not lost.)
Without progged I'd knew almost nothing about prog. It was you who helped me exploring the world of prog through the last 6 years!

And your biggest goal is that you brought people in the world together who became friends! Progged were not so successfull without the tag - board!
Please let us know if we taggers can keep toghether.

All the best best wishes, Chan

YOU ROCK!!!

Ray

Totally bummed, and totally understood.

You have broadened our family's view of music immensely (not quite to the point of bankruptcy, but we've had our moments at amazon.com!).

I second Pinkeisch's request - isn't there some way to keep at least the name going? If for no one other than poor Steve... :worship:

Proggedradio rocks... if only in our hearts!

I second Pinkeisch, Bucky, Janet, Mav and everyone else who have been here during all this time.. and well we don´t want to see the site die.. and there must be the way to at least move forward.. we all understand your reasons.. and we thank you (and me personally).. for the opportunity to broaden our minds and ears to new music.. new genres.. and of course GREAT people.. as you are.. and as all our friends here are..

there must be a way that we as community can help to keep the site alive.. Pinkeisch request is the more suitable, seems so.. think about it.. we all can help one way or another as well..

Chan.. you rock !!!!... you da best!!!
:worship:

I will check into transferring accounts from live365 as well as spacial audio (for the Streaming Audio Manager - SAM software/subscription). I seriously doubt spacial audio will be accommodating, and I doubt live365 will either. SAM is an integral part of the website. Requests/programming were completely controlled by the software. I will look into this tue/wed since I get a whole 36 hours off this break :)

well well well......I found this station a looong time ago (it feels that way--5 years ago now). The door was cracked with Prog and ProggedRadio just opened it up big time for this genre. I first heard Adagio and Symphony X on this station years ago. There were many firsts on this station. Damn good tuneage and wonderful meeting a lot of Proggers from around the world.

It is extremely sad to see it go. I truly hope it stays alive in someone else's hands or manifests into some other site. It will hurt the prog community greatly by just shutting it down completely. May the transition be a good one.

Taking care of a site and stream like this takes a lot of work. Especially in the last few years with such a huge influx of Prog music. Chan good buddy, you did awesome and we will miss you and the station. I can't thank you enough!!! You opened the door! You truly did! :worship:

Prog must continue to prosper---without question.

Prog On With Your Bad Self!!! ;)

Chris Mangold - Colorado, USA
(Songsmith)

Chan, Thanks so much. I hope that progscout can reach some sort of an accord with you and the key vendors. I am willing to support his efforts to keep this fantastic station alive and well.

Hey Chan can't thank you enough for what you've done over the years. If it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't have found the very many bands that I've been able to discover here. Again thank you very much. Best of luck to you and your family and your air force career.

Thank you Chan for keeping the station going for as long as you have. Progged radio opened my eyes, ears and mind to hundreds of bands. The station made my workday so much better. I totally understand your decision and I wish you and your family all the best. The world is a better place because of you Chan, Rock on!

Well after talking with several people, I have decided not to close down - HOWEVER, I will be taking a more minimalistic approach. The Request features are going to be gone, as everthing will now be hosted at live365.

Be sure to check out the PROGULUS RADIO blog to keep up to date on the new superstaiton!

Status
Not open for further replies.