Question about the stream

GaryGnu

New Metal Member
Jan 20, 2005
I am relatively new to internet radio. There is more to this than I thought. I have noticed that to good get sound, I've needed to get a station that broadcasts 128kbps. On live365.com, progged radio is listed at 64kbps, but I've seen some other info that leads me to believe if I become a member, that will improve? What's the deal?

Gary (clueless)

The bit rate is going to vary by station. This station (Progged) broadcasts at 64kb, but you will get better sound if your player supports MP3 Pro, such as Quintessential player. You can enable the MP3 pro setting in the preferences under 'plug-ins'.

Pinkeisch said:
The bit rate is going to vary by station. This station (Progged) broadcasts at 64kb, but you will get better sound if your player supports MP3 Pro, such as Quintessential player. You can enable the MP3 pro setting in the preferences under 'plug-ins'.

At the moment, I am listening through iTunes. Does this support MP3 Pro? I don't see a way to enable it.

Gary

No, currently itunes does not support mp3pro, and no the quality of the broadcast will not improve by subscribing to L365. As the Pink one mentioned, you need to download a mp3pro capable player to hear the better quality broadcast. The cool thing about mp3pro, is that it will downgrade itself to standard mp3 if the user does not have a capable player. I would suggest downloading quentessential (my player for years now) and try tuning in, then judge for yourself.

Gary,
Just note Quentessential only works on PC, not in MAC, if you are a Mac user like me (or like a lot of proggers dessigners, hehehe) you must keep on ITunes...

Progged said:
No, currently itunes does not support mp3pro, and no the quality of the broadcast will not improve by subscribing to L365. As the Pink one mentioned, you need to download a mp3pro capable player to hear the better quality broadcast. The cool thing about mp3pro, is that it will downgrade itself to standard mp3 if the user does not have a capable player. I would suggest downloading quentessential (my player for years now) and try tuning in, then judge for yourself.

OK, finally got around to loading Quintessential. A few problems 1) For Progged Radio, the song name and artist are not being displayed. I'm playing other stations through here and they show up. 2) Is there some easy way to save a station that I am missing? I have been saving stations as "Play Lists" and to switch stations, I have to go a roundabout way through several menus.

GaryGnu said:
OK, finally got around to loading Quintessential. A few problems 1) For Progged Radio, the song name and artist are not being displayed. I'm playing other stations through here and they show up. 2) Is there some easy way to save a station that I am missing? I have been saving stations as "Play Lists" and to switch stations, I have to go a roundabout way through several menus.
Any station that broadcasts through live365 will not show the song title info in the player, that's just the nature of the beast with broadcasting thru L365. That is why I set up a Now Playing page on the website that gives you current and last few songs playing. Also when using Quentessential, make sure you move the mp3pro plugin all the way to the top of the list, or else it will use the standard mp3 plugin.

Chan

Progged said:
when using Quentessential, make sure you move the mp3pro plugin all the way to the top of the list, or else it will use the standard mp3 plugin.

Chan
Thanks for the tip that made a big difference. I've been using winamp and I'm trying out Quintessential, haven't decided which I like best. Are there any Quintessential skins that have a windows shadwe mode (i.e. opacity settings) any recommended skins?