Progpower roster prediction thread

adaher

Apr 18, 2004
Coral Springs, FL
Okay, last year I got one right after the previous year getting zero. I'm starting to figure out the system and we have the benefit of a Glenn clue, so here goes:

Friday:
Symphony X-returning band
Iron Savior-US debut
Circus Maximus-Returning band
Cloudscape-US debut
Neverland-US debut

Saturday:
Nocturnal Rites-has toured the US
Within Temptation-has toured the US
Falconer-US debut
Last Tribe-US debut
DGM-US debut

I figure Friday's prediction is pretty safe, but Last Tribe is a reach considering the last album was three years ago. But then again, if we're finally going to get Magnus Karlsson on stage, that will be the project he's most likely to be able to pull it off with.

Within Temptation is a reach simply because Glenn has tried to contact them before and gotten nowhere, but their rapid rise makes them very attractive.

Friday:
Symphony X-returning band
Iron Savior-US debut
Circus Maximus-Returning band
Cloudscape-US debut
Neverland-US debut

Saturday:
Nocturnal Rites-has toured the US
Within Temptation-has toured the US
Falconer-US debut
Last Tribe-US debut
DGM-US debut

It's too power-metal heavy, but I like it. I agree with you on Symphony X and I REALLY hope you're right about Iron Saviour and Nocturnal Rites. Circus Maximus is probably a good bet too. Couple other names I thought of were Edguy, Jag Panzer if they get their new album out, Theocracy with a new album, Andromeda I would think has got to cross the radar at some point in the Prog Genre. I wouldn't be surprised to see Orphaned Land return. Masterplan maybe? Who knows!!!???

For the "oddball" band....I'll go with Wig Wam!!!! I would FREAK out if Wig Wam played here! That would RULE beyond all RULINGNESS.

iced earth and symphony x for headliners, and circus maximus threw in there somewhere.

a return of mercenary would be quite great as well

It's too power-metal heavy

True, but we're usually top-heavy with power, and there are only three pure power metal bands on the list. The others are power/prog or that punchy melodic metal style that Glenn likes to book at least one or two bands.

For the "oddball" band....I'll got with Wig Wam!!!!

Wig Wam would be the awesomest oddball that ever was.

Glenn, you have to give these guys a shot! THey'd bring the house down, although I'd imagine there'd be some skepticism beforehand.

FRIDAY:
Riverside - US Debut
Mystic Prophecy - US Debut
Poverty's No Crime - US Debut
Labyrinth, - US Debut
Nocturnal Rites - 2nd US Apperance

SATURDAY:
DGM - US Debut
Eldritch - 2nd US Apperance
Circus Maximus - Return Band
Astral Doors - US Debut
Nightwish - Return Band

I had Amorphis down for one of thoseone US tour bands, but I found out they have toured the US a couple times. Oh well .. maybe some year for Amorphis .. unless Glenn just kind of thought they had only toured the US once before.

Britt

Try this line-up:

Friday

SERENITY (US Debut)
MINDFLOW (Just Because they are so damn good)
VOLBEAT(Oddball)
PRETTY MAIDS
SYMPHONY X

Saturday

ANUBIS GATE (US Debut)
SPHERIC UNIVERSE EXPERIENCE (US Debut)
ANDROMEDA (US Debut)
NOCTURNAL RITES
NIGHTWISH (Special show)

Showcase

PRYMARY
MEYVN
ASTRAL DOORS
CIRCUS MAXIMUS

Now I took a lot time compling the lists below and trying to take into account a few different angles. Though I still dont have the insider view I think I can put together a pretty good festival here. I didnt really compile a finalized lineup just bands that I thought could play and their possible significance to the fest.

Debuts:

Elvenking - a viking/power/melodic death band has to play at some point - 2
Cloudscape - gotta have at least one nightmare band - 2
Andromeda - solid release and decent hype - 2
To-Mera - see above - 1
Iron Savior - 4
Wintersun - see Elvenking - 1
Almah - features Edu and they are doing a big Brazilian tour so why not PP? 2
Pretty Maids - 4
Anubis Gate - 1 or 2
Lions Share - Astral Doors singer as their new vocalist, nuff said 2 or 3
Stream of Passion - no Arjen I bet means cheaper 2 or 3

One-off/Toured Befores:

Hammerfall - never PP though have toured the US before 4 or 5
Cage - has played few dates about the country; new album awesome 2 or 3
Nocturnal Rites - phenomenal at Power and if the location had been stronger more people would have showed 4 or 5
Mindflow - decent turn out in Texas - 2
Falconer - bring them back to the US with old singer 3
Iced Earth - special set of some kind 5
Agent Steel - bernie and glenn are know each other so that helps; Agent Steel rocked at Powerfest 2 or 3

2 Returns:

Nightwish (special set) I just dont think that they will play PP unless it is something extra special since I believe they are planning a spring US tour as well. 5
Brainstorm - bring Andy and crew back!! 4 or 5
Adagio - new album coming 2 or 3
Silent Force - new album is outstanding!!! 3

Bands I dont think will be there:

Circus Maximus - they are doing a tour in March with C II C and Manticora; that I believe should be announced by the end of the year.

Savatage - TSO is releasing Nightcastle soon so this aint happening.

Being the total fanboy that I am, I could care less who else is on the roster if Glenn lines up the following..............

Savatage reunion show, ProgPower only, with Jon, Zak, and the rest of the Tage alumni!:worship:

I'll hold out for this each year until I hear or see the actual roster announcements. :)

~Brian~

If Circus Maximus is coming back, with the love Glenn has for the band as well as their audience reaction last two times, I would be surprised if they are anything less then a 2 slot/co-headliner.

Savatage is who I really want to see...with Damond, Zak and Jon...

It's pretty tough to make predictions without it turning into a wishlist, so I'm not even going to pretend I'm trying :lol::

US Debuts:
Andre Matos
Beyond Twilight (if they're even an option)
Heavenly
Ride the Sky
Glory Opera
Disillusion
Spheric Universe Experience
Andromeda

Played the US once before:
Riverside
Rhapsody (w/ or w/o Fire)
Mindflow

Returning Bands:
Conception
Adagio
Brainstorm
Orphaned Land

I'm thinking Fairyland, Spheric Universe Experience, and/or Anubis Gate. Maybe a Wastefall try #2. There has been at least one intromental band on the bill the last 4 years so.... Fairyland is probably the least likely of the list since they released an album earlier in the year and the next PP is still a full year away.
Returning bands? I'd pray Therion but between their upcoming US tour and almost 2 years since their album release by PPIX, they may be unlikely. Of course, the speciality set might be enough to seal the deal regardless of when the last album was released. I think Orphaned Land has a good chance since their new album should be out sometime between now and next PP that should give them good buzz for a 4th slot. Other returning band possibilities.... Maybe Brainstorm or Manticora.
The bands I'd put on my "there will be a puddle of drool where I'm standing" list are Haggard, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Dragonland, To-Mera & of course, Ayreon/Star One (even though it'll never happen until one of us wins the lottery).

If we keep up with a band this year getting a spot at the Showcase based on performance, I could see maybe Virgin Steele getting that (even though I don't think I'll care for them personally).
It'll be interesting to see what he does for headliners this year. One will probably be a returning band and the other a band that has been to the US at least once since it seems there are fewer and fewer headliner material bands that have yet to hit the states. Luca Turilli is about the only headliner material I can think of who hasn't been to the US and might be within Glenn's budget. The planned fourth album is "heavily influenced by Helloween's first two Keeper of the Seven Keys albums." The album might be too far away for them to get the slot based on it, though. Does Rhapsody have a planned US tour anytime soon? Maybe they changed their tune after opening for Manowar.
With Circus Maximus touring the US soon, I think Glenn might hold off on their return another album in hopes to use them as a 4 slot or even maybe a headliner while not making it so much a "oh god, them again?" reaction like with evergrey for some.

Speaking of Fairyland, has PP ever had a "fairies and dragons" power metal band?

Seems like Glenn specifically steers away from those types of bands. I know 90% of them are pure crap, but there are some that are PP-caliber(Fairyland, Dark Moor, Rhapsody, Thy Majestie).

Hmmm
Not a roster,but here is my wishlist
Riverside
Enchant
Brainstorm
Outworld
Mindflow
Conception
Iced Earth
Pretty Maids
Saga(err........if Glenn can get Saddler out of his upcomming retirement)