Programming BASS guitar

Don't bass samples sound really odd when playing faster parts. I tried it before to try and save time and could not get it to sound good at all for the faster parts.

MetallyGuitared, I am sure someone you know or here or elsewhere could play the parts for you. I have a lot of guitar students that would most likely love to help out play the bass parts for nothing in return but their name in the credits. (I can get any guitar/bass I want from a local store. So really good sounds for sure.) This applies to anyone here who might need some bass work done. Just shoot me an email if you want me to check into it

Just thought I would throw that out there :)

I actually know 2 guys that will loan me a cheap bass but not long term. I just haven't been motivated or desperate enough to pursue that. I don't mind programming bass lines since Broomstick sounds so good but I am gonna try the pitched guitar thing soon. I kind of like programming the bass and keyboard stuff because I come up with WAY different stuff than if I were playing guitar but it is tedious.

I haven't done a whole lot with Broomstick in the death metal area but it has a Staccato articulation that's made just for the fast stuff and that combined with palm muting, etc has worked real well for me on mid-tempo stuff. I gotta say this again, the humanizing in Broomstick is awesome. I used one-shot samples of real basses for years in Fruity Loops and I know how un-natural that sounds. Broomstick isn't like that at all to me. Plus with Broomstick it has a cool interface that lets you choose the music/playing style and pair that with different basses like a Rick, Hagstrom, P-bass or Jazz bass, etc. Between the humanizing and the styles it really is about as good as bass samplers are gonna get without 4 hours of micro-tweaking velocities and articulations like some Hans Zimmer GigaStudio freak.

As I was using it on a ( cough ) pre-buy trial basis ( cough cough ), I had not spent any money on it so a refund wasn't an issue. I was using Kontakt 3. It took about 2-3 minutes just to load Scarbee. I'm pretty sure my PC is just too ghetto.

My PC is:
P4 2.53ghz ( socket 478 aka pre-SSE/SSEII and pre-HyperThreading )
1GB of RAM
3 PATA-100/IDE HD's 40, 60 and 80GB
Tweaked as XP can be and fully updated, virus free, etc...

It's not a PIII but it's not that far from it.

Ah, so that's why it's the Amped 4 lol that's the only one i've seen "out there"... If I try it I'm probably picking the Amped 2 one. I'd like to try Hardcore Bass and maybe the Broomstick one you're using though...

I disagree although I'll admit that pitch shifting is definitely easier. Some of these cursed libraries are cursed with full SVT rigs with vintage Rickenbackers and Music Man basses. Someone who fully utilizes key switches and articulations (ie. up down strokes) can make a very good sounding bass line. Pitch shifted guitars don't produce bass growl and never will.

Here are the samples Ihsahn was talking about.

http://www.soundsonline.com/Quantum-Leap-Hardcore-Bass-XP-pr-EW-156.html

It's just like drum programming. A skilled user can make it sound as good as an amateur can make it sound bad.

Yep true, only snag is i havent heard anybody other than east west make a good sound out of them yet. For the money, a good bass and an amp modeler are the way on a budget I suppose. Ive got a really bad bass, and i do bizarely prefer just pitch shifting guitar at the moment. I'd definitely take a shit bass and amp over an unauthentic programmed sound though, even if it was cursed with vintage rickenbacker lol

I've always seen the idea of programming a stringed instrument a bit "out there" compared to drum replacement/programming but im from a guitar background so bleh :lol:.

As I was using it on a ( cough ) pre-buy trial basis ( cough cough ), I had not spent any money on it so a refund wasn't an issue. I was using Kontakt 3. It took about 2-3 minutes just to load Scarbee. I'm pretty sure my PC is just too ghetto.

My PC is:
P4 2.53ghz ( socket 478 aka pre-SSE/SSEII and pre-HyperThreading )
1GB of RAM
3 PATA-100/IDE HD's 40, 60 and 80GB
Tweaked as XP can be and fully updated, virus free, etc...

It's not a PIII but it's not that far from it.

p.s. I sent you a PM about something. check it when you get a chance...

Yep true, only snag is i havent heard anybody other than east west make a good sound out of them yet. For the money, a good bass and an amp modeler are the way on a budget I suppose. Ive got a really bad bass, and i do bizarely prefer just pitch shifting guitar at the moment. I'd definitely take a shit bass and amp over an unauthentic programmed sound though, even if it was cursed with vintage rickenbacker lol

I've always seen the idea of programming a stringed instrument a bit "out there" compared to drum replacement/programming but im from a guitar background so bleh :lol:.

http://www.scarbee-downloads.com/demos/bb_amped/bb_amped_2_demo1_soloed.mp3

Tell me that doesn't sound good & realistic... o_O

Of course, that's an upbeat, funk kind of style, which isn't the style I'd use it for, but it's programmed and sounds extremely good. I also heard a clip someone put up showing how it sounds for faster stuff and it sounded really natural. I'm a guitarist too, but I think I could probably program better sounding bass lines with the Scarbee Black Bass than I could actually play on a bass. heh.