Programming drums for a band to use live

topsoul182

Dec 18, 2009
I got a band coming thats just 2 guitar players/singers and they have the drums programmed out in guitar pro and they want me to make tracks they can use for live

i plan on using Ezdrummer for the over heads and use trigger to replace the ez drummer drums. They also asked me to include the bass tracks along with the drum mp3's.

Do i treat that track the same as i would treat a full song when it comes to mix/mastering?

Maybe you'd want to add hi hats a bar before as well, if they hadn't already done it.

What you are asking about, is something I've been doing for years so let me give you some advice. Don't go with mp3s or waves for backing tracks -- it's too much of a headache trying to get the right mix. Tell them to use midi files on a laptop using old Cakewalk software, or band-in-a-box, so you can adjust the instruments (drums, bass, keys, etc,) When you go with audio backing tracks, you might have to remix the songs for them if they aren't right, were as, with midi, THEY can mix the instruments themselves.

What you are asking about, is something I've been doing for years so let me give you some advice. Don't go with mp3s or waves for backing tracks -- it's too much of a headache trying to get the right mix. Tell them to use midi files on a laptop using old Cakewalk software, or band-in-a-box, so you can adjust the instruments (drums, bass, keys, etc,) When you go with audio backing tracks, you might have to remix the songs for them if they aren't right, were as, with midi, THEY can mix the instruments themselves.

I'd consider going with stem tracks rather than midi though...