Programming drums

Nico_pitty

Nick
Jun 22, 2011
Milan
hi guys...
when i programm drums i usually have the midi with kontakt and then i record the midi completely raw in a mono audio track for each instrument and cymbals.
i have seen a lot of people mixing the midi tracks and not the audio tracks.which is the best way to achieve a good sound,audio or midi or it is the same?

They are the same things.

Depending on the project will determine if I print the programmed drums or not. Say if I am doing an EP or full length I will print the drums, but if it is a single or 2 songs I will most likely leave them in midi.
If you know how to route Kontakt you can send each instrument to its own aux/bus which is then giving you the same effect as having all the drums printed (in a sense of plugin distribution to a specific drum or cymbal group)

The reason I dont always print is because I get really stoked on a track and dont want to loose my "buzz" or hype of the track because I have to spend time printing each instrument.
Of course doing a full length would rape my CPU if I didnt print it :p

Got it! i also noticed that when i record my midi in audio track they don't sound exactly the same. in midi they sound louder and they sound a little bit better!(SSD)

in stereo?? i don't remember who,but someone told me that it's better on mono,even if on SSD the midi are stereo.

I also noticed that i can put reverb on snare directly from kontakt. for ssd V2 there the Z4 level where you can choose how mix give to my snare,for ssd V3.5 there 2 type of reverb,SSD or NRG room that go on directly to an aux output. are those method better than puttin a reverb directly on snare insert?in this forum i discover that Joey use z2 or z4 room in his sample,but how?when i use ssd in option i can see which hit coincides to wav. files(z1,z1,z3,z4). honestly i can't find which type of room i can give to my snare and in ssd v3.5 the only rooms i can find are ssd and nrg...sorry this is the typical problem that only a person who doesnt know can have.