progressive metal bands

Nov 3, 2004
Symphony x is my favorite band by far and i trying to find other progressive metal bands to check out. i don't really like dream theater too much, John is a great guitarist and song writer, but their singer bugs me. i love a combination of heavy metal and classical thats why i love symphony x and adagio. so what are some other band to give a listen. also what pickups does michael use?

www.suncaged.com

I dunno if you'd like their singer if you don't like LaBrie, but it's still worth a listen. Hollow is my favorite tune from them.

About DT...what songs have you heard from them? A lot of people tend to be turned off by LaBrie initially, but he does have a weird habit of growing on you. ;)

i have train of thought. their are parts that kind of remind me of linkin park . that albumb is sick though, but i like more of a classical progressive metal.

Train of Thought is not at all indicative of them overall, and is actually one of the less-liked albums among the fans (even though I personally like it quite a bit). I know what you're talking about with the Linkin Park-ish stuff...kinda caught me off guard the first time I heard it because they had never done anything like that before.

If you're interested in anything else by them, I'd recommend picking up Awake (best album IMO) or check out some of the following songs:
Caught in a Web
6:00
Scarred
Under a Glass Moon
Metropolis
Trial of Tears
New Millenium
Fatal Tragedy
Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu
Hell's Kitchen/Lines in the Sand
The Dance of Eternity
Home
Blind Faith
The Glass Prison

That oughta hold you over :p

If you're into more classical-oriented prog, then you're probably leaning a bit more towards power metal than actual "prog." Check out Sonata Arctica if you haven't yet.

www.sonataarctica.info

Have you already tried Ayreon? They're not as classical, more like a merger of classic rock and metal (to my ear), but I think they're really good.

OfSinsAndShred said:
About DT: One word - Metropolis.

Couldn't agree more.

As for prog-metal bands.. How about acts such as Fates Warning, Queensrÿche (best vocalist ever, or at least in the creamest of the crop).. Maybe Spiral Architect and Psychotic Waltz?

Oh, and Time Requiem, although the project seems a bit too SymX'ish at times - Andersson is a pretty good musician though, otherwise.