Progressive metalz

I think it sounds great and the song is really nice too :p. Really tight playing.

Really? :lol: To me it sounds horrible, the snare is barely audible when the rhythm guitars are playing and the kick just... doesn't sound right. And the tom roll part around 02:35 doesn't sound like a tom roll at all, you can barely hear any of it. :bah: I wish I could produce 'bulbquality' mixes but it just isn't happening. :lol: Sigh, I know whats wrong with my mix but lack the knowledge/skill/equipment to fix them. Frustrating as hell.

Edit-
And don't even get me started about fitting the vocals in!

Sound cool and tight! Yeah, AD kicks don't work with methul so good. Have you tried to replace AD's kick with some other sample?

Sound cool and tight! Yeah, AD kicks don't work with methul so good. Have you tried to replace AD's kick with some other sample?

I don't even know how to do that. :lol: What I've done now is that I've got two separate AD kits layered on top of each other, the other one being single sample and the other one not. It brings a little punch to the kick for example. As for the snare I mixed the Pearl Ferrone and the Sonor Designer together. Ferrone is single sample and the Sonor multi. It sounds acceptable but not awesome. And then there's some other shite mainly concerning reverb and compression. Pretty complex, eh? I think I could do this all with a single kit, but then again, I don't know how. :lol:

Sounds good! Real bass guitar?

Real bass. Some Harley Benton cheapie I borrowed from a friend. :lol:

I hope you processed the AD samples externally. The internal comps/eq etc suck.
Also try to multiband eq the kick and compress the lows, so the comp clamps the lowend down in the fast parts and opens it up in the slow parts. Automation on the eq helps, too.
Also put some more verb/room on the snare to get the sustain to cut better.

Good mix! What did you use for guitars/bass?

Krhmm... No external processing whatsoever. I did try it once, but 16 tracks for the drums only kinda alienated me from doing it. :lol: Also, I have no idea how to automate stuff. Damn do I feel like a total newbie right now. Multiband compression sounds extremely useful, but I have no idea how to execute it properly.

You don't need to process EVERYTHING externally. You could try just routing the kick, snare and room channels into external Compressors and EQ and then send them to a drumbus together with the overheads and tom mics, which you processed in AD. Disable the FX on AD's Master Channel and process everything on the drumbus to "glue the kit together" again. Works like a charm! For processing Addictive Drums I usually use NastyVCS, which is a free channelstrip with everything you need for drum EQ/Dynamics.

In terms of multiband compression: Download ReaXComp, if you haven't already and bypass all the bands except for the lowest frequencies. Set the low band to about 20hz -150hz and compress that with a release time long enough to make the compressor clamps the lowend down on the fastest parts of the song to make it sound clean and nice (so the gain reduction stays on the same spot in these parts).

This will make the fast parts sound cleaner, while the slow parts will have a big fat lowend (experiment with the settings!).

Hope I helped! Post results, if you try it!

cheers,
Mario
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5798359/demobiisi_3_moardrumtweaking.mp3

Thank you very much! I didn't start processing anything externally just yet, instead I started playing with the compression. And it works! The difference is subtle, but it's definitely there if you know what to look for. Might be just placebo but I think that it even cleared the whole mix up a bit. Let's see if I still think this way tomorrow morning though. :loco: