ITB vs Nebula SSL Shoot-out - Commercial Rock

How would you compare the Alex B programs to other commercial/free programs?
I've been looking for a nice analogue sounding Nebula program for a year now, maybe the "Classic Logic Console" is the one to get.

From what I understand the 3rd party Nebula programs are the best. The only 'free' ones I got were the Doc Fear, API550B and API3124+. The API550B ones for instance are better than the Waves.

@fredrik: Unfortunately I don't have anything similar. This isn't 'saturation' as the plug-ins do it, but something much more real and subtle.

@jauernis: It most certainly does. Current hardware is not up to spec to run Nebula properly. Though there are things you can do like use CUDA, print offline, chain multiple PC's together etc.

Sounds good man. I got the Black Modern Console (API) and the White Modern Console (Neve). I also got the Black Mastering EQ (API). Now just gotta get the other 2 consoles, the preamp pack, and the1073!

Anyway guys, I did another slightly more scientific test this time. I exported 3 different versions, all from the source sample rate of 48kHz (so one less upsample) down to 16 bit 44kHz. I also dropped the output gain by 1dB to avoid distortion.

The ITB program is totally clean. No Nebula SSL saturation anywhere. The only outboard involved is the Millennia Origin on vox and GSSL on master bus.

The Nebula Line program just has the offline processing done direct to the source audio tracks to simulate the SSL 'channel strip saturation'. No Nebula running in real-time.

The Nebula All program is the full shebang. Nebula SSL 'Channel Strips', Nebula 'Bus Summing' and Nebula 'Master Bus Summing' too. No FX Return saturation strips though (maybe these would enhance the depth of the ambience).

The increasing difference from one to the other is quite interesting to behold.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/Porcelain4-TotallyITB-48k.wav

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/Porcelain4-NebulaLineProgram-48k.wav

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/Porcelain4-NebulaAll-48k.wav

Thanks for this test, Ermz! Nebula version sounds much better for me. If you have some more tests/samples with/without Nebula SSL programs then post it, please. It would be great to hear the diference ;)
Cheers!

I haven't listened to the newer files yet , but on the older ones, I mostly hear more treble (likely harmonics) and more compression on the nebula version.

Amount of higher frequencies is directly related to the width of stereo image since HF are what human ear use to locate a sound. So it is understandably more pleasing on a quick listen.

This is in fact pretty much the effect of a mild saturation, so I'm not sure the result is worth the (insane?) amount of processing power requiered to have a nebula instance on each tracks.

Original file sounds good on its own, nebula version sounds "more something".
I am not sure that this is what separate a great bedroom mix from the big boys mixes. Maybe, it is but that would be disappointing somehow.
It is more of an aesthetic choice if you ask me.

Interesting nonetheless.
What would be even more interesting is to hear the real deal vs the nebula mix.

Damn you get rid of your dropbox links fast dude:lol: Really should keep stuff up a little longer. I honestly didn't even see this thread until just now.

I'd definitely love to hear these again myself, wish I'd downloaded them the first time around but I was in a coffee shop on headphones...

I definitely remember preferring the Nebula version massively.

Sorry guys, the band requested I take all online content down so I had to comply. Nothing I can do bout it!

I'm currently mixing another project. If you guys like I could try to do a similar comparison with it. Especially since this time I'm mixing 'through' Nebula.

Sorry guys, the band requested I take all online content down so I had to comply. Nothing I can do bout it!

I'm currently mixing another project. If you guys like I could try to do a similar comparison with it. Especially since this time I'm mixing 'through' Nebula.

Yes Please Ermz !
I didnt get to hear this stuff either,

Will it be a metal track ?

Im in a similar situation where im trying to define a bit more of an analogue sound,
My ears are not great and im trying to train them at the moment, but i know what i like and what i want,
Im using PTHD8 with a 192i/o and generally work at 24/48 (for no particular reason)
And i have lots of plugins that are kinda doing the analogue thing for me but have recently been thinking about trying to achieve the "on every channel and bus" thing you describe and maybe in analogue hardware in the masterbus,
I also have the SSL Duende (which i believe uses the algo's from the new SSL stuff so might not be quite right for this) and a Focusrite liquidmix 32 that i am just getting to grips with.
Plus i have 2x SSL 502 4 band Eq's from a console that i am in the process of racking up and plan to build a GSSL to go along with them, and then i have a Mixbus Module from an old UK made broadcast console Console that i plan to make into a summing unit.

So as you see i have lots to be getting on with but your timing is pretty good for me right now and im very interested in the whole subject and would really appreciate what you can do,

I think your ears must be way better than mine anyway(along with your mix environment - im stuck in a small untreated room right now which doesn't help what i hear).
and you might help me make a few decisions along the way,

Unfortunately nebula is VST only but it may wrap with the VST-RTAS adaptor thats how i use the Liquidmix and SSL, il have to look into that or use what i have.

Anyway thats a big yes please from me !

Merry Christmas!

+1 for another comparison. please :)

i'm just downloading the free nebula3 version...is there any difference between this and the commercial version other than different (better) libraries? i.e in the program itself?
as for the free libraries, there seems to be quite a lot of stuff (judging by the dl size ^^) so any pointers on what i should check out first?
i haven't messed with nebula yet, but this thread got me really curious....

^^^ Good because I lied.:lol:

I just got home from work and I'm gonna go pass out. I wouldn't make it through a mix right now. :loco: