Ultimate Drumbus Compression Shoot-out!

Very interesting to hear the difference in the clips. What kind of attack release combo are you using on the compressors? Tempo based or not?

~ 30ms attack, 100ms release, 4:1 ratio. About 3 to 4GR from what I can figure.

I found out how the Overstayer shines, anyhow. It has to be used with its blend knob... so, in parallel. It has a way of sort of rounding out the drums this way without killing the transients. It definitely does not the the pumpy crush crush the GSSL excels at, but it definitely seems to be a different beast. Also appears to excel at mid-range oriented tracks like Rhodes piano, particularly with its Dirt mode engaged.

I said that exactly because I have hard time, with my level, really making a true difference between several of them. I've done it and could only find differences between really different compressors. I don't have your experience, ears, opals, and certainly most important, room treatment.

That's why earlier in the thread, I said that sadly, I would have no interest in having an outboard compressor since this thread proves me at my current level I cannot make a profit of it.

That also proved me that I have now to learn more precisely how to train my ear to catch characteristics of compressors. For the moment, between good compressors, I choose the one that gives me the best workflow.

I said that exactly because I have hard time, with my level, really making a true difference between several of them. I've done it and could only find differences between really different compressors. I don't have your experience, ears, opals, and certainly most important, room treatment.

That's why earlier in the thread, I said that sadly, I would have no interest in having an outboard compressor since this thread proves me at my current level I cannot make a profit of it.

That also proved me that I have now to learn more precisely how to train my ear to catch characteristics of compressors. For the moment, between good compressors, I choose the one that gives me the best workflow.

listen for the tips of the transients and the overall cymbal tone. The differences are quite solidly there

Hey Ermz
PM me a link for a 24 bit wav and your attack/release/reduction amount settings and I will put it through a Drawmer 1968ME.
It is variable ratio depending on input level.
Sounds great on drums and would be good to hear it against the others you used.
Michael